 Off-Topic / Fun / 7352
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:03:39 GMT

   I have no idea why I locked onto this, but I just did.

In lugnet.castle, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti writes:

-- Hop-Frog (turning the heat up more slowly these days...)

You know the whole frog-in-boiling-water phenomenon, right?  Put a frog in
boiling water, he'll jump out.   Turn up the heat slowly, he'll just sit
there and roast.

   This is not in actual fact true.  It's only true if you
   have an anesthetized frog.  My experience is that a frog
   will try to jump out of *anything* a human puts it into.
   It's one of those infamous urban legends.  At least, a
   lengthy digging session didn't turn up a single actual
   citation of an experiment--just stories from speakers and
   various religious tracts.  It survives because very few
   of us would ever be so nasty as to try boiling a living
   animal, and it's a nifty allegory besides.

   And before you ask, they *do* try to jump out of the
   microwave, too.  No, I didn't actually turn it on--it
   was just a convenient (if disturbing) holding tank
   while I cleaned the aquarium.

   best

   LFB