 Castle / 9329
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:24:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I know I shall be the only one with this opinion, but frankly I am saddened by
the re-release of the Guarded Inn.

Yes, I will buy one or two, I'm not saying it's a bad set.  I've always wanted
one.  HOWEVER I see no redeemable feature that would make the original set
sell for $100, $200 off ebay.  You hypocritic castle heads complaining about
the worthlessness of castle walls, now all excited about red tudor versions...

But you see, I would have rather seen a castle be reintroduced.  The King's
Castle, the Knight's Castle, the Black Falcon's Fortress, THOSE are the things
of LEGEND!  The Guarded Inn, in my opinion, is a dinky little set with little
value except for parts, parts that I really don't need too many of.  I cannot
fathom why someone would value the Guarded Inn at $300!  (Which I once saw on
ebay)

The Guarded Inn a Lego Legend?  Hardly.  It is only named so because of the
missguided paying too much on Ebay for them.  The set was hardly rare, anyone
who at the time, had a S@H catelog could buy one. I myself have four different
catelogs with it advertised, though as a child I didn't want it.  As an adult
I'm only buying one for the sake of owning one and perhaps a second just for
the minifigs.  Now if they reintroduced the King's Castle!  I'd be buying a
couple of those.  Rerelease the Yellow Castle?  I'd be a lot.  Rerelease
action sets like the Battering Ram or the Seige Tower or Knight's Challenge?
I'd buy a lot of those too.

While I agree with much of what you say, here's what I see:

Set size is important.  I went to the first inflation calculator that Google
could find for me, and it said that the 2000$ cost of 6080 would be about $90.
It also said that the 2000$ cost of 6067 would be about $30. . .so if we grant
that LD is keeping the price down to a bit over $0.10/piece, perhaps they would
offer 6080 for $70.  That's a lot more money than $25.  So much more that I
suspect many people (especially people who don't collect classic Castle[1])
would be scared off.  Besides, this is a small run set, and proof of concept; I
imagine that LD cares much more about number of sets sold than the gross they
take in.  Getting two people to buy 6067s (or getting one person to buy two or
three) is much better for them than selling one 6080.  So a big set is
impractical at this point.  On the other hand, a small set like the Maiden's
Cart or 6103, no matter how desirable to obsessed Lugnetters, would look really
wimpy as the lead product for a bold new line.  So I think a midsized set was
the way to go, and I think something as "flashy" (colorful? offbeat? unusual?)
as 6067 or the Knight's Challenge would be the obvious choice.

And yes, 6067 *is* rare.  Sure, I have two or three S@H catalogs with it, but I
don't think I ever actually ordered anything from S@H until last year[2].  I've
been trying to cut back my Lego purchases, and I doubt I'd pay full price for a
6080 or 6085 or 6060, even though I like them, because I already have them. .
.but I think I might be willing to shell out for a 10000.

TWS Garrison

[1]  By the way, did everyone notice the subliminal message on the Knight's
Kingdom pages of last fall's S@H catalog? ;)

[2]  Mike Petrucelli has some insights into catalog ordering that have
apparently escaped TLC for the past few decades, although they have always
seemed obvious to me:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2661