 Castle / 9467
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:27:25 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:51:05 GMT, "brian Kasprzyk"
<brian.kasprzyk@westgroup.com> wrote:

3.  Lego's move to re-release sets in my opinion is a cop-out.  Instead of
producing sets people will like so that they don't lose a profit, they
release sets that were already popular.  Why doesn't Lego
just put out sets that were just as high of quality and have the ability to
be modular?  I have been reading more about that in the last few months then
anything else.  Again, I am not condemning Lego, I am not 'against' Lego nor
do I say that they should not have done this. I am glad they are trying to
appease the collectors. What I am saying is, "Where's the new sets that make
us want to buy more!?!" (than one copy)  I have 2 boys and I will tell you
what they like, Adventures.  They are modular; they have cool animals, lots
of mini-figs and some cool parts that allow them to use their imagination.

I don't regard it as a cop-out because I don't see the issues as mutually
exclusive.  How does one prevent the other?

Thanks for responding!  I can clarify this as such:  In order to produce a
set, they have to schedule it, run it, package it and all the other things
that go into it.  While this occurs, they can't run 'x' set now.  They can
only do 1 or the other, not both.  The production line doesn't allow for it.
I have been told by someone that used to work for Lego that Lego only has
funds for so many molds.  If this is so, then that reduces money for tooling
new molds for new sets.  The person also said they usually run a mold until
it is no longer usable and the extras are stored for parts replacement and
other such needs (master model building, etc).

If it's current molds then they would most likely be used for a set
anyways, if its a stored mold, they don't seem to be making money from
it unless they use it :^), if it is a new mold (for old parts) then
maybe what you are saying is true.
In regards to the 'time/space/schedule' spots that the reissued
Guarded Inn takes up, oh you'd rather have another Juniorized City
Center set?  It's now like its displacing a  castle set seeing as we
have no new ones this year.  It also is certainly taking the 'space'
of a whole new Castle line.....

You can believe if you like that I am saying 'boo-hoo' to this line, but
it's not true.  I just want to see new sets that are cool.  Come-on, a cloth
sheet for the back of a castle surely is not an easily defended stronghold.
Get back to great designs Lego!

I agree that I would like to see new cool sets.  Other than liking the
minifigs, the "Knights Kingdom" line is junk.  But you can make this
argument without ever mentioning the re-release of the Guarded Inn.

Bruce

You are right.  I did not need to combine the issues.  They are 2 seperate
issues.  But, (sorry, everyone knows a 'but' comes) I am addressing an issue
that has come up in this thread about quality of sets and it ability to be
used in several ways.  The older style sets could easily be made into
several different designs.  I don't know who said it, but it was great,
something to the effect, "why have a building made out of 21 pieces!"  Lego
just needs to start creating more sets like the classic sets!  I think
people would be happier if they came out with a mini-fig scale Inn, done in
red tudor walls then just reproducing an old set.  What I mean by minifig
scale is larger with bedrooms, a common room, chairs, a bar and stools, etc...

Last comment.  I don't see cost being an issue.  If they re-released it at
$30-35, I bet people would still have bought just as many, considering all
the comments about them costing $80+ on auction sites.  $35 for a brand
spanking new one is still a great deal!!  I would be curious to know how
they did on the Expert Builders Star Wars sets.  I picked up my Millinium,
The Tie-Bomber and the X-wing all for under $50 each.  This would really
help us understand why they don't build full scale Lego buildings. (Making
my earlier point moot).

But cost IS a issue, just not the biggest, piece availability is.
Also at $30-35  I would be buying MANY less and I suspect others would
also....   I would think that because it IS a reissue they cut their
development research cost by a large factor, if not entirely.  THAT
would be one of the reasons they  can offer it for the price they are.

Mike
--

All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)