 Castle / 9328
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:22:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I know I shall be the only one with this opinion, but frankly I am saddened by
the re-release of the Guarded Inn.

Yes, I will buy one or two, I'm not saying it's a bad set.  I've always wanted
one.  HOWEVER I see no redeemable feature that would make the original set sell
for $100, $200 off ebay.  You hypocritic castle heads complaining about the
worthlessness of castle walls, now all excited about red tudor versions...
I am glad that the evil ebay oppressors will be shot down, the rarity of this
set has become next to common.  Hurrah!  Death to those who try to pass lego
off as a collectable!

But you see, I would have rather seen a castle be reintroduced.  The King's
Castle, the Knight's Castle, the Black Falcon's Fortress, THOSE are the things
of LEGEND!  The Guarded Inn, in my opinion, is a dinky little set with little
value except for parts, parts that I really don't need too many of.  I cannot
fathom why someone would value the Guarded Inn at $300!  (Which I once saw on
ebay)

Remember that this is the first Legends set they may be testing the waters
sure Lugnet AFOL's will go out in droves and purchase this kit. (I prordered
a few today) but if others buy it when it sells, well then they might
deciede to release a larger (and More expensive) set.

Granted, Lego will introduce several more legends each year.  But we will
probably see a new castle set rereleased once a year, or every other year, to
make room for other sets.  I say this is unfair.  Even to the pirate fans I say

this is unfair.  Pirates had it done mercifully.  Castle has been beaten down
with worthless series after series after series.   Lego has trashed the good
name of castle with Dragon Masters, Fright Knights, Ninja, and to a lesser
extent Knight's Kingdom.  Pirates were discontinued before they became too
worthless to buy.  Space?  Technic?  Town?  They have not been given too many
totally worthless series to play with in my opinion.

The Guarded Inn a Lego Legend?  Hardly.  It is only named so because of the
missguided paying too much on Ebay for them.  The set was hardly rare, anyone
who at the time, had a S@H catelog could buy one.  I myself have four different
catelogs with it advertised, though as a child I didn't want it.  As an adult
I'm only buying one for the sake of owning one and perhaps a second just for
the minifigs.  Now if they reintroduced the King's Castle!  I'd be buying a
couple of those.  Rerelease the Yellow Castle?  I'd be a lot.  Rerelease
action sets like the Battering Ram or the Seige Tower or Knight's Challenge?
I'd buy a lot of those too.

When I was in grade school and buying lego in 198-7 I didn't know about S@H.
I had seen a picture of the guarded inn and I wanted it. I had a seige tower
that I got as a gift and a blacksmith shop and armor shop that I saved up
for with my allowence probablly some other small sets.  I couldn't afford
the larger sets that I saw at Hills department store.  I don't think that
there are any early classic sets that would make poor choices for legends.

John

And that's just my unpopular two cents.
--Anthony
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html