 General / 30915
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:36:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Brian Kasprzyk writes:

Thanks for responding!  I can clarify this as such:  In order to produce a
set, they have to schedule it, run it, package it and all the other things
that go into it.  While this occurs, they can't run 'x' set now.  They can
only do 1 or the other, not both.  The production line doesn't allow for it.
I have been told by someone that used to work for Lego that Lego only has
funds for so many molds.  If this is so, then that reduces money for tooling
new molds for new sets.  The person also said they usually run a mold until
it is no longer usable and the extras are stored for parts replacement and
other such needs (master model building, etc).

Yes, there are always production costs - my bet is that this cost them
considerably less to put back into production than designing a new set.

As to production logjam - this is only significant if they are currently at
their maximum production.  I rather suspect they aren't at that point or
they wouldn't have scheduled this.

You are right.  I did not need to combine the issues.  They are 2 seperate
issues.  But, (sorry, everyone knows a 'but' comes) I am addressing an issue
that has come up in this thread about quality of sets and it ability to be
used in several ways.  The older style sets could easily be made into
several different designs.  I don't know who said it, but it was great,
something to the effect, "why have a building made out of 21 pieces!"  Lego
just needs to start creating more sets like the classic sets!  I think
people would be happier if they came out with a mini-fig scale Inn, done in
red tudor walls then just reproducing an old set.  What I mean by minifig
scale is larger with bedrooms, a common room, chairs, a bar and stools, etc...

Look at my first response up at the top and I think you have your answer.
They have something that fits the bill, that the fans want to see
re-released, and has a low production cost.  Why re-invent the wheel?

You want everything to go back to the old school design philosophy?  So do
I.  The only way that is going to happen is if the Power That Be at Lego
decide they can make more money with old school design rather than new
school ("juniorized").  That is more likely to happen if they put some Old
School designs on the market.

You want to skip the intermediary step.  Can't blame you, but: 1) Lego may
be right that the mass market wants juniorization (as much as that may be
upsetting to Lugnet members); 2) this may be political internal
game-playing/butt-covering (sometimes known as test marketing); 3) best to
have a bone rather than nothing; 4) The divisions in Lego may be autonomous
to the point that one area is listening to us, and another isn't.

I rather suspect #4.  Brad (or whomever - I'm crediting Brad for convenience
sake rather than endlessly speculating)) may not be able to directly affect
the design philosophy, but does have the pull to reissue an old set.  This
may lead to greater influence by Brad, but then again, this may be the
extent of what he wanted (throw us the bone that he could).  I'll happily
take the bone, even if I sniff around for more.  :-)

Last comment.  I don't see cost being an issue.  If they re-released it at
$30-35, I bet people would still have bought just as many, considering all
the comments about them costing $80+ on auction sites.  $35 for a brand
spanking new one is still a great deal!!  I would be curious to know how
they did on the Expert Builders Star Wars sets.  I picked up my Millinium,
The Tie-Bomber and the X-wing all for under $50 each.  This would really
help us understand why they don't build full scale Lego buildings. (Making
my earlier point moot).

I suspect that Lego is passing along the lack of design costs and middlemen
costs to us.  Thank you, Lego!  How classy!  Yes, you are probably right
that they could have asked more for the Guarded Inn and not been thought
less of for doing such.

Bruce

(hmmmm, no specific castle stuff, so let me fill in that request followups
to lugnet.general)
I agree with you on all points above.  My problem is, I have no money!!!
Releasing classic sets for original price, plus inflation (and not all of
it) is great.  I am afraid they are going to produce more classic sets I
don't have and then I have to debate buy old, newly released sets or the new
line stuff (like the Camel Airplane).  Too many desisions to make.  As I
said earlier too, my children, 5 and 6 DO like the juniorized stuff better,
the slammers, the technic throwbots and Bionicle...  They see this stuff as
much more fun then basic brick.  I can understand why.  They want something
built and built now.  They play with constructs a lot too because they can
build a huge building quickly and then play with their Lego figures and
space ships they build on the constructs buildings.  So, Lego going to
juniorization is/was well founded.  It's just us "collectors" still like the
basic old style bricks.  So, I think they will stick to releasing older sets
under the Legends guise.  I don't forsee them going backwards in their
design because, as I listed before, childern don't get into that as much
(more basic brick, less juniorization)  For those living in America, we did
this to ourselves.  We make our lives so busy, it is reflecting in the youth
of our nation.  They see, do things quickly so you have more time to do more
things!  Don't laze away the afternoon building a house 6 1/2 inches tall,
use this prefabbed wall sections and be done in 15 minutes.  It's the way of
life in America.  Don't take time to do your yard, Chem Lawn (or other
places) can do it for you.  Don't water your grass, put in an automatic
system.  Don't even go to the grocery store anymore, Simon Delivers!  Ah,
'tis the American dream sit back (huh?!) and let everything be done by
someone else for you so you can do the "important" stuff in life.