 Castle / 9351
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 09:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tim Courtney writes:
Hate to call your bluff, but I think your post was sour grapes from the
beginning.

Tim, I think the term "sour grapes" doesn't actually work in this context --
or at least I'm not sure how you mean it.

So because you think LEGO should not be labeled a collectible, does that
mean others cannot label it as such?

Others can always do as they please.  But there are several REALLY good
reasons why Lego doesn't fit into the "collectible" category as easily as
others things may.  I have a complete grading system that I am working on,
so I won't go into too many details right now.  But Lego is "properly"
collectible in only two states (in my view): as single elements, and as MISB
sets.  In all other states, Lego is foolishly thought of as collectible
(again, in my view), there are just WAY too many variables to consider and a
collectibel scheme falls apart pretty quickly.

Plus, I will throw in a teeny analogy to another plastic toy -- Pez
dispensers.  Once upon a time the Psychedelic Eye dispenser would fetch as
much as $500 USD each in excellent condition, but I think the price is
dropping on them. After all, Pez re-released newer versions that were
identical to the original in all major details, and even in several
variations that were never available before -- and all for $18 each (which
is a crazy price too, BTW). To me, people have to be PSYCHO to throw their
money away on an "original" of these dispensers
(http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1147193941 lists one
at $385 USD).  I mean, I REALLY can't see the point of it.  Can they do it?
Sure.  Should they do it? Probably not...

I mean, people will collect anything -- some people collect old bottles and
old rusty nails. To each his/her own, I guess.  But some of these items are
pretty darn easy to forge -- and I would be very suspect of many of these
type of items because when the price goes up to a certain point it becomes
worth forging and selling even if its one at a time -- comic books have been
forged for this very reason. Sometimes one has to beware the comic book that
is in "too good" of condition. [Actually, I don't really collect comic
books, but I did once read them avidly -- which sometimes seems like the
same thing because other collectors force the issue on one by buying up only
special issues because of "perceived" collectible value. It's all just
"tulip mania" to me...and very similar to the way some people collect Lego.]

Aren't I another person with a differing opinion, and am I not entitled to
it?  I read your post, and I saw what I thought was whining and sour grapes.
But that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Fine.  And I realize some of this is getting personal for the participants,
but the difference is that Anthony's first post on this subject was a series
of opinions about the GI set, TLC's marketing moves, and what coulda/shoulda
been instead of the GI set whereas your opinions are a LOT more to do with
the nature of your perceptions of Anthony's behavior.  Why is it whining
from Anthony, when Gary Istok expressed a similar sentiment elsewhere?  Or
is it whining from him too?  Even so, I didn't see anyone jump down Istok's
throat. I, myself, whined similarly...so what?  You didn't attack me either.
Why not?

C'mon, Tim --Let's go, Baby!  You and me, k?  And the fight doesn't end
until a K.O.!

=oP

Not getting what you want is not sour grapes. I don't see Anthony denying
the desirability of the things he wants just because he cannot currently
obtain them.  I see him saying that he doesn't particularly want an item
that is currently available and was supposed to be some HUGE surprise for
EVERYONE (including him).  You and I were pleased to varying degrees,
Anthony was not (this means he doesn't feel included in TLC's
considerations).  I would hope that he could see that this move on the part
of TLC portends more and better in the future (and maybe even for him), but
for today Anthony seems disappointed. Okay, it will just have to be that way.

Y'all should take a deep breath or two and then come back more reasonable
and less ready to fight.  I've been there, I know exactly how you
feel...makes me feel like calling Larry P out for some fun -- but, feh...
(and we all know that Frank Filz just ain't taking the bait -- damn him!).

-- Hop-Frog (turning the heat up more slowly these days...)