 Castle / 9322
Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:58:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I know I shall be the only one with this opinion, but frankly I am saddened by
the re-release of the Guarded Inn.

I guess the question is, are you SADDENED by it or just dissappointed?
Sounds more like you just wish they started elsewhere...

Yes, I will buy one or two, I'm not saying it's a bad set.  I've always wanted
one.  HOWEVER I see no redeemable feature that would make the original set
sell for $100, $200 off ebay.  You hypocritic castle heads complaining about
the worthlessness of castle walls, now all excited about red tudor versions...

Personally, I like it for a few different reasons-- It's just got lots of
cool pieces that I like:
-The red tudor walls (unique to this set alone)
-The tavern flag (also unique to this set)
-The blue 1x4x5? door (unique to this set? not sure)
-The maiden hat (available in red in only 3 sets)
-The maiden torso (hard to come by now)
-Flowers & stems (I love these, even though they used to be common-- they're
  becoming harder to find)
-Black slopes (2x8's & odd gable wedge, & roof caps)

And of course the other pieces you can't get anymore, like Crusader torsos &
shields, the breastplate torso, a Black Falcon shield, and light grey castle
walls. And of course it's got a nice little bunch of grey bricks and plates. :)

And other than that, it was indeed rare in the US. It never got put on store
shelves, so the only people that did know about it were people with S@H
catalogs (I only acquired one from my friend in 1987 when he didn't want one
anymore-- and yes, I wanted one even then, although not as much as a 6080 or
6074 or something). So for collectors and builders alike it's a great set--
worth $300? Not to me. Worth $25 MISB? Definitely. Heck, I paid $150 for a
complete one (not MISB) and was happy-- probably wouldn't have done it AGAIN
(Probably only up to $100 if I could've ever found them that cheap)

I am glad that the evil ebay oppressors will be shot down, the rarity of this
set has become next to common.  Hurrah!  Death to those who try to pass lego
off as a collectable!

Hear, hear!

But you see, I would have rather seen a castle be reintroduced.  The King's
Castle, the Knight's Castle, the Black Falcon's Fortress, THOSE are the things
of LEGEND! The Guarded Inn, in my opinion, is a dinky little set with little
value except for parts, parts that I really don't need too many of.

Well, I's certainly agree that 6080,6073, and 6074 are legendary-- starting
this series with any of these sets would be most welcome indeed. But then
again 6067 is a fine way to start it off too... Actually, if it were up to
me I would've picked either 6067 or 6080 to kick it off. And from a
marketing standpoint, I'd probably go with 6067, just so anyone buying them
for the figs will buy more of this set rather than hold out for 6080's,
6074's, etc, which they'll later buy ANYWAY. Kinda like releasing SW
stormtroopers in big sets first (and Leia & C3PO & Chewie) and little sets
later... But then again that really only applies for people trying to buy
Crusaders

I cannot fathom why someone would value the Guarded Inn at $300!  (Which I
once saw on ebay)

Yeah, MISB they might do that. I wouldn't've bought one for that, but
hopefully it'll drag the price down for both collectors and builders alike :)

Granted, Lego will introduce several more legends each year.  But we will
probably see a new castle set rereleased once a year, or every other year, to
make room for other sets.  I say this is unfair.

Unfair? To castle fans? Or do you mean too long to wait?

Space?  Technic?  Town?  They have not been given too
many totally worthless series to play with in my opinion.

Well-- I'll have to disagree here-- but only with space & town. Both have
been swamped with worthlessness since 1997 IMHO-- technic's gone downhill
too, but the odd part was that 1996 was almost (if not THE) pinnacle of
technic...

The Guarded Inn a Lego Legend?  Hardly.  It is only named so because of the
missguided paying too much on Ebay for them.  The set was hardly rare, anyone
who at the time, had a S@H catelog could buy one.  I myself have four
different catelogs with it advertised, though as a child I didn't want it.
As an adult I'm only buying one for the sake of owning one and perhaps a
second just for the minifigs.  Now if they reintroduced the King's Castle!
I'd be buying a couple of those.

Sign me up for at least 4 6080's. Probably more. That's definitely another
set of legend. If another castle legend comes out, I'm betting that'll be up
next. I'd bet 6080, 6074, 6086, 6085 and 6066 would be the top 5 likely
castle legends (next to 6067), although I never cared much for 6085... I'd
much rather see 6073 in its place!

Rerelease the Yellow Castle?  I'd be a lot.

Eh. I'd probably buy one, but I never was filled with an overwhelming desire
for one-- plus that'd be even harder for TLC to reproduce since it uses the
old style space helmets (last seen in 1987?), plumes (last seen in
1982-83?), the old flag (dunno if that's still around), and the old 1x1x1
windows. I'd buy one just to have it, but I doubt I'd buy more.

Rerelease action sets like the Battering Ram or the Seige Tower or
Knight's Challenge? I'd buy a lot of those too.

Yeah, you could sign me up for LOTS of these, but I doubt TLC will call them
"legends". But hopefully if this "theme" is a success, it'll encourage other
sets like these to be on the list to be brought back! :)

DaveE