 Local / Australia / 12185
12184  |  12186
Subject:
Why Lego acts unfairly (was Re: New Product Announcement - 10152)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 01:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Benjamin Whytcross wrote:
   I was wondeing...how do LEGO work out their prices?

By my calculation, 10152 is being sold at the following:
$74.99 US is roughly $105 AUS
£54.99 is roughly $140 Aus
EURO 79,99 is roughly $136 AUS
$144.95 AUS
(About 30% higher outside North America)

Well, I know of two theories:

1. The Whinging Australian(s) Theory

One or more Australians whinge about the Lego company in Australia, the product availability in Australia or even the price in Australia. The Lego company does not like this whinging at all, and resolves to punish all Australians by charging Australians more for Lego.

2. The Whinging American Theory

Many Americans whinge about something Lego does, say, changing the colours slightly. Many, many don’t know what to do, but know that they’ll be buying less of the product in future. Lego gets worried, and decides to placate the American masses by charging them less.

Of course, neither properly accounts for the non-Australian/US price difference, so probably should be taken with a grain (or perhaps a large truckload) of salt.

;-)

Cheers

Richie Dulin