 LEGO Company / 1853
1852  |  1854
Subject:
A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 15:04:52 GMT

lester witter wrote:
The containers look to be 2 studs wide which makes this about 1/2 minifig
scale. Do you know if the design scales up? I mean if you had two (or three)
sets could you build it wider and longer and have a minfig scale ship? I guess
it comes down to the superstructure. Maybe you could pass this question on to
the design team.
Well, this comes down to simple math: if you want to double a
threedimensional object in all dimensions, you basically need 2x2x2=8
times the material. Thats the easy answer.

Concerning scale:

The containers on the ship are 1.6cm wide and high.
A real container is 300cm wide and high (10ft).
-> This would be a scale of 1:187.5

The containers on the ship are 6.4cm long.
A real container is 1200cm long (40ft).
-> This also yields a scale of 1:187.5

Minifigs are about 1:42. A proper Minifig-scaled container would be 9
studs wide, 36 studs long and 7 2/3 bricks high.

I've seen containers made from Lego at approx. 1:47 (8 wide, 32 long, 6
2/3 high), which is the most usable scale for this kind of model,
fitting nicely with 8wide trains.

So, for usable and realistic sizes and scales to fit with a minifig,
that ship is nearly 1/4 Minifig scale, and therefor you would need
4x4x4=64 sets to make it fit the Minifigs (yes, this is a very simple
answer, and does leave out a lot of things, like "making containers
hollow", "different structural needs" and "some things won't scale,
anyway, like the windows").

Boy, you'll propably have to sacrifice your grandmother to get that
amount of sets ;-)

HTH, Christian