 LEGO Company / 1931
Re: New Product Announcement - 10152
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 07:15:28 GMT

Rob Hendrix wrote:
And all this doesn't take into account other taxes Americans pay yearly.
* personal property tax
* vehicle tax
* sin tax (cigs, alcohol, and other "non-necessary things)
* gasoline tax (30-40 cents per gallon?)
* Medicaire (not a tax)
* Social Security (not a tax)
* Federal Income Tax (don't get me started!!!)
* State Income Tax
Health care options and prices in America suck in my opinion.
Social Security benifits may not be around when I reach age 65 (or older).
Federal income tax was a "temporary" supplimental way to fund WW2.
Apparently the US goverment forgot that that war has been over for 60 years.
Do other countries have such a large number of required things they must
pay?
Well, your list matches mine here in Germany, with two notable exceptions:

We pay about EUR1.20 (US$1.44) per liter gasoline, of which EUR0.90 to
0.95 are taxes. With 4.55 liter being a gallon, and the Euro at about
US$1.20 we pay roughly US$5 taxes per gallon (no, this is no mistake!).

On top of our Income Tax we have a fat add-on to subsidize the eastern
half of Germany. This was originally planned for a few years after the
reunion to bring the former GDR up to par, and has now been extended to
2020 and beyond, IIRC. So much for "Joys of Reunion"...

We've got some very historic-exotic taxes, too, e.g. on salt or on
lightbulbs(!) ;-)

BTW, about 60% of all secondary literature on taxes and evading them
world wide is written in German - go figure :-(

On the other hand, our Sales Tax is "only" 16%. Nonetheless, Lego prices
are roughly 1.6-1.8 times the American ones, although we are Denmarks
next-door neighbours, and there are no transatlantic transport costs to
cover.

Yours, Christian (who just wanted to set some points right)