 LEGO Company / 1921
Re: New Product Announcement - 10152
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:52:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
grumblegrumbleofcoursenotAustraliagrumblegrumble
I see no reason why it cant be made available to australia and new zealand
given that stuff we get comes from the exact same warehouse that people in
europe get their shop @ home items.

Jake, can you look into why this isnt listed on shop.lego.com for australia
and kick someone into gear to get it listed so us aussies can buy our (up
to) 5 sets just like the rest of the world?

I only want one myself but I am sure there are other aussies who want 1,2
or even the full 5 :)

I should have been more clear about this. All Shope At Home items (minus a few
exceptions) that are available in Europe are also available to Australia and New
Zealand. The 10152 is available to you as well, but the product isn't loaded on
the http://www.legoshop.com site yet. Should be later today.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

I was wondeing...how do LEGO work out their prices?

By my calculation, 10152 is being sold at the following:
$74.99 US is roughly $105 AUS
£54.99 is roughly $140 Aus
EURO 79,99 is roughly $136 AUS
$144.95 AUS
(About 30% higher outside North America)

Similarly, 10030:
$299 US is roughly $420 AUS
£249.99 is roughly $640 Aus
EURO 369,99 is roughly $635 AUS
$569.95 Aus
(About 50% higher outside North America)

Similarly, 10123:
$99.99 US is roughly $140 AUS
£69.99 is roughly $180 Aus
EURO 109,99 is roughly $190 AUS
$199 Aus
(About 30% higher outside North America)

Similarly, 4750:
$7.99 US is roughly $11 AUS
£5.99 is roughly $15 Aus
EURO 9,99 is roughly $17 AUS
$14 Aus
(About 30% higher outside North America)

Now, seeing as the sets are being produced in Europe, WHY are those buying them
there having to pay so much more? After all, Wouldn't it seem logical that those
buying from the source should be getting it CHEAPER than those who have to get
it shipped from the source to an overseas (literally) S@H centre, and then
forwarded from there?

I COULD be wrong, but it seems to me that the rest of the world is SUBSIDISING
the LEGO being sold in North America so that they can keep getting the cheaper
prices.[1]

Is there any truth in this theory...I guess that's up to LEGO to either confirm,
or to try and explain the pricing discrepencies.

[1] I probably shouldn't be surprised...after all, the only way we hear from
LEGO is via North American LEGO company sources, and in general LEGO (produced
in Europe) arrives on sale in North America before it does in Europe...Maybe
they don't even realise that those who don't live in North America buy LEGO?

Benjamin Whytcross