 LEGO Company / 1865
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 18:41:08 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
lester witter wrote:
The containers look to be 2 studs wide which makes this about 1/2 minifig
scale. Do you know if the design scales up? I mean if you had two (or three)
sets could you build it wider and longer and have a minfig scale ship? I guess
it comes down to the superstructure. Maybe you could pass this question on to
the design team.
Well, this comes down to simple math: if you want to double a
threedimensional object in all dimensions, you basically need 2x2x2=8
times the material. Thats the easy answer.

That's true for a solid object, but as the 8wide fans point out to me all the
time when I use this scaleup against them, this object isn't completely solid.
you may not need 8 times as much hull brick to make a 2x hull, for example.
(howver you're going to need a lot more interior. (and you allude to that
below))

Excluding all internal supports and bracing, what we are really concerned about
is surface area, since that's the brick we see.  If an object is scaled up 2
times, its surface area goes up by a factor of 4.  Thus, you would need, at
minimum, 4 times as many bricks to make the object twice as large.  Use your own
to build the internal structure and you're good to go.

So, to scale this ship up to something approaching minifig scale, you'd only
have to buy 16 sets.  The big problem would then be piece distribution, since
we'd have way more of those 1x4x1 wall panels than we need, and not enough basic
bricks.

How about that, my engineering degree is coming in handy :)

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com