 LEGO Company / 1858
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 16:36:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
lester witter wrote:
The containers look to be 2 studs wide which makes this about 1/2 minifig
scale. Do you know if the design scales up? I mean if you had two (or three)
sets could you build it wider and longer and have a minfig scale ship? I guess
it comes down to the superstructure. Maybe you could pass this question on to
the design team.
Well, this comes down to simple math: if you want to double a
threedimensional object in all dimensions, you basically need 2x2x2=8
times the material. Thats the easy answer.

That's true for a solid object, but as the 8wide fans point out to me all the
time when I use this scaleup against them, this object isn't completely solid.
you may not need 8 times as much hull brick to make a 2x hull, for example.
(howver you're going to need a lot more interior. (and you allude to that
below))

Interesting exercise! And one that matters to me, because thats going to be my
use for this set (after I build one copy and enjoy it)... making other stuff.