 LEGO Company / 1866
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 20:35:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Adrian Drake wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
   lester witter wrote:
   The containers look to be 2 studs wide which makes this about 1/2 minifig scale. Do you know if the design scales up? I mean if you had two (or three) sets could you build it wider and longer and have a minfig scale ship? I guess it comes down to the superstructure. Maybe you could pass this question on to the design team.
Well, this comes down to simple math: if you want to double a threedimensional object in all dimensions, you basically need 2x2x2=8 times the material. Thats the easy answer.

That’s true for a solid object, but as the 8wide fans point out to me all the time when I use this scaleup against them, this object isn’t completely solid. you may not need 8 times as much hull brick to make a 2x hull, for example. (howver you’re going to need a lot more interior. (and you allude to that below))

Excluding all internal supports and bracing, what we are really concerned about is surface area, since that’s the brick we see. If an object is scaled up 2 times, its surface area goes up by a factor of 4. Thus, you would need, at minimum, 4 times as many bricks to make the object twice as large. Use your own to build the internal structure and you’re good to go.

So, to scale this ship up to something approaching minifig scale, you’d only have to buy 16 sets. The big problem would then be piece distribution, since we’d have way more of those 1x4x1 wall panels than we need, and not enough basic bricks.

How about that, my engineering degree is coming in handy :)

Adrian

Compare with my 40ft container 40’ x 8’ x 9’6” high:

Apart from it needing the Maersk blue bits for the star, I’d ideally like to make a ship to 8mm:1ft scale with these containers onboard, multiplying all dimensions by 4! The ship would be 2.8m long and would have to be transported in sections, probably modules on 48x48 plates! I like the thought though, especially if I had a warehouse full of railway to go with it!

The bow plate is 12-wide and you’d need to make a 48-wide one for a minifig scale ship. Also, the containers start with 2x8 bricks but it’s 1-wide bricks that you’d mneed for building large containers.

The ship is essentially a flat piece (the deck) with a cuboid piece (the bridge etc...) on top, so the deck area scales up by a factor of 4 for every doubling of dimensions and the bridge volume by a factor of 8.

Therefore this set doesn’t scale up very well :-( but does any set? Anyone who really wanted to, and needed 16 ships, would have to get 3 friends to order more for them!

Good to see more dark red pieces though. I’d like bricks and train windows in dark red for doing proper British coaches.

All those floor studs (25 per ship) will be useful as train buffers if I use the parts for other things later.

Mark