 Local / Australia / 12196
Re: Why Lego acts unfairly (was Re: New Product Announcement - 10152)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 09:39:38 GMT

I have not gone to the dark side yet, but I find the lure
more and more tempting, I just wonder if resistance is futile.

Having flirted with the Dark Side on occasion, I would have to say that MB
is never as good as Lego, but I have found its Pro-Builder sets to be
acceptable and its Castle sets awful in terms of brick interconnecting. I
also used to find their grey and tan colours useful for some "bio-diversity"
so that historical buildings aren't just one flat colour, but now it seems
Lego is providing me with that same "bio-diversity".

I have flirted with Shifty Brick, and the quality there is definitely
shifty, and most sets are a bit of a random mix of OK parts and parts so bad
you have to throw them away. However, if you are after parts that just
aren't in the current Lego retail range, then you may find them in Shifty
sets, just understand that the colour of the parts on the box art may not be
the same as the colours of the bricks inside. However, I have found some
useful OK-quality parts like castle parts and flowers and trees (which
generally are more or less the colour you might expect) in Shifty sets. It
is best to treat Shifty sets as a lucky dip, spend a few dollars, and either
get some useful parts or get a story to moan about on LUGnet for years to
come :-)

Kerry