 CAD / Development / 6097
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 21:22:33 GMT

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message

I think Chris is right.  It will be challenging to disclaim an unofficial
update in a way that nobody will get upset later.  When we do officialize
the pieces, there will be orientation changes, and different part numbers
with no forwarding addresses.  Models built on unofficial parts are likely
to break.

There's also the issue of being able to later clean up the pollution from
an unofficial update.  It would be easy to enough for people to use their
Windows Find to locate files containing the word 'unofficial', and delete
those files, but that would imply that we reviewed all the files before
releasing them, to make sure they all have the "unofficial element" line.
And reviewing all the files before an official release is something we're
trying to avoid, right?

I think I see it now.  As far as broken models go, we don't want that.  I have
had a couple of those, and that's frustrating.

I got your message in this group about the news item, I'm working on that right
now.  I think it might be good to make an official statement about the parts on
the site as well - so what exactly will we do?

You wrote in another message:
I think I can use my part-voting-preparation utilities to generate a
webpage like the ones we use for voting.  So people could check out what
the unofficial parts are, and either download them all in one shot, or just
grab what they want.

Steve

Isn't this the same thing as releasing an unofficial update?  I know people want
parts, and something needs to be done.

I went back into the emails I have and read your latest message about the Parts
Tracker progress and Dan's comments you pasted.  You recently mentioned he is
busy - Dan (or Steve if you know), when do you think is a reasonable timeframe
to get a testable version up on the server?  When do you think is a reasonable
timeframe to get the official parts release out?

I think that we need to make a final decision about the parts update and
announce it - and assure the users that it is being worked on.  To me that means
in a separate thread, possibly to .announce, and posted on the site.

Tonight I'll keep churning on the SSI for the site, and throw together some news
to put up.

-Tim