 CAD / Development / 6064
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:45:25 GMT

I mostly agree so I mostly snipped...

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

The thing is, there's a bottleneck here because one or several people don't
have the time to push the update system changes through.  This is
understandable and perfectly fine, given the volunteer nature of LDraw.
Offload that time onto the end-users, then.

How does that help? That is, suppose it would take 40 man hours of work to
resolve the bottleneck and get the new process on line and running. If that
40 hours avoids 400 or 4000 hours of user effort, isn't it worth it for the
users to wait?

I dunno.

Maybe you are saying let the users decide for themselves?

Would you be willing to volunteer to help get the new process fixed?

Conversely, you said that it was OK that users have to go to extra effort to
get parts. Right now, the extra effort every user goes through is to search
the entire newsgroup for the dat file. Would you be willing to go find 10,
and put them on a community updateable resource, if everyone else that was
complaining about the bottleneck also went and found 10 different ones and
posted them to the same resource too? Maybe that would BE your 'interim update'

If not, what did you mean about not wanting an officialy
packaged/installeable update, exactly?

I am just brainstorming (and this may generate me some flame mail too, I dunno)

Please brainstorm too, about what users could do to alleviate this, at least
temporarily. I have seen previews of the new system and it will be very very
nice once it is done.

Cheers,
- jsproat