 CAD / Development / 6075
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 03:03:21 GMT

As you can imagine, behind the scenes discussion is running fast and furious
(not in the Mad sense, in the fast sense...oh never mind) The following are
rambles/my opinions, not official statements of position (remember I am the
nonvoting member who plays gadfly...). Take them with a large grain of salt

Doing an official vote on a small chunk is too much work for the benefit and
counter productive to long term goals so not as likely to happen... the real
way, once done, is better. (unless there were a putsch and the entire
current "board" were voted out and entirely new people came in and started
running things. Not very nice and not very likely to happen, either and if
it did you would see large delays while the new gang tried to come to grips
with what the heck it means to do a parts release. Tres work!)

if something unofficial came out from the gang, it probably would NOT be the
way Sproat wants it. Orion's install problem matters a lot. What Sproat
wants is already available now, you just have to dig harder to find the
parts. It probably would be a big zip or exe packaged similarly to more
official installs.

If that bugged Sproat or whoever, nothing is stopping him or whoever from
collecting and making available whatever alternative mechanism they like.
Nothing except the authors wishes and the license, which isn't in place yet
but will be soon for new submissions, we hope.

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Carsten Schmitz writes:
Hello Chuck,

Ummmm.... Isn't that what the lugnet.cad.dat.parts newsgroup (or Tore's
temp
parts tracker) is for?  You go looking for the part you want and install
it.
That's what I've been doing.

Yes. That is a nice idea but some of the parts dont still have pattern
numbers or copyrights are missing or something like that.

This is a problem to the scheme. Can Authors who are paying attention fix
this as much as possible??

Orion, you bring up a great idea that could solve the problem in the
interum.  Take all the parts you can find on Tore's tracker and in the
parts
newsgroup, put them in a self extracting archive or .zip file, and post
the
file somewhere like brickshelf with a disclaimer that they are
pre-release.

Hmm.. I am a parts authour but I really would appreciate it more if some at
least checks these parts closely for errors and form and get small official
releases on their way instead of a whole big mess of unofficial not right
named and war parts. When I build a model with new parts in LDRaw I want to
be sure that i can open this model a year later and it still looks the same
and no prts are missing or changed their orienation or something like that.

Easy fix for that. Don't install this unofficial release, then. If you
install it, you are committing that you want parts now even if not quite
right, rather than more perfect parts later. You can't have it both ways.

Sproat dinged me (rightly so) about scope creep (that's what it is called,
not creeping featurism) pushing out the new tracker end date. Well, the
scope is what it is for this parts release. There is the usual triangle here
of effort, quality level, and calendar. Effort isn't available to be
increased so if calendar is to be moved, quality level has to give.

That would be worst case for me.... I would not like the parts I did to be
in this scenario.

Well this adds complexity if someone has to figure out what is in and what
is out. Maybe major authors need to repost or dump to some common place the
parts they are willing to see in this interim release and if not present,
let the users who want them ask the authors nicely if they will relent.

I like the idea with little official parts updates much more!

Not very likely to happen with the current administration. And before you
take to the streets and advocate revolution, consider the alternative. ;-)

++Lar