 CAD / Development / 6085
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 13:37:58 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

[...] "pushing for this inside" [...] "among some of us who discuss
LDraw.org issues offline" [...]  "sent another email to a few
people" [...]

It seems to me that LDraw has become a project of secrecy and inside
work.  When did it stop being an "open" project?  When did discussions
concerning LDraw cease to be done in the open?  I think I missed this.

I realize that whoever work with the project may want some "anonymity"
to avoid being "spammed" with beginner's questions and so on.  It is
probably hard to direct people to the newsgroups.  Some people tend to
want to email a single person with a question, rather than posting on
a newsgroup.  But is there really a need to hide all the work from the
public anyway?

Its not a matter of hiding the work, see below.

I realize also that discussions on the newsgroup tend to get all noisy
and go nowhere.  This is probably frustrating to work with, and I can
see the desire to go underground.  It is probably a lot easier to get
things done when working alone, not having to achieve consensus among
a diverse group as the people (left) on lugnet.cad.*.

This is the case.  Newsgroup discussions get noisy - people tend to have long
drawn out arguments, and most of the time those people aren't even directly
involved.  We discussed this in NY when just the LDraw people got together
(aside from LEGO).  Because of the efforts to draft the parts license, form an
official organization, etc, we have found it more appropriate to move some
discussion off of LUGNET.  This is because we want progress - a smaller group
who is more dedicated can stay focused easier and more will get done.  This is
from experience.

This is the best explanation I can give.  Its not out of a desire to be secret,
elite, or anything of that nature.  Its a desire that a lot of us who are doing
the work have to keep things rolling and not get bogged down by newsgroup
discussion.  It results from feelings expressed at a couple in person meetings -
NYC and my visit to Steve's where Steve, Larry, and I discussed LDraw issues.

The good news from this is, allthough sometimes it moves slow, we are able to
get a lot more done becuase it is small.  We've got a parts license 95% done and
ready to go.  We'll tackle the organization stuff so LDraw can do more things
and act as an entity.

The newsgroups are still good for discussing, and interacting with those who do
work on LDraw related stuff.  They've helped out a lot over the last two years
towards the development of the site, and will continue to be an invaluable
resource.  Some of us just find a need to discuss certain things privately so
decisions get made faster - we're the ones doing the work and we're the ones
whose work the decision will directly effect - the work of the website and the
software being released.

Hope this helps

-Tim