 CAD / Development / 6082
Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 12:19:31 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
I think the parts should be zipped into an unofficial archive, hosted on • the
site under /download/updates/unofficial/ and with a big disclaimer • attached.
Then the system Steve is working on should be completed, and the parts run
through it and updated properly and added into the official updates.

I think this needs a little modification - if the parts could be zipped
separately then people could just get the ones they want, and as new
unofficial parts are sent they could be added as individual zips rather than
having to keep creating new batches of parts. If only I had a web server
with MS ASP on I could throw together a system to handle uploading of parts
and automatic conversion to zip format in about 30 minutes, it's that
simple. I guess I'm going to have to look into getting ADSL at home and
running a web server on my laptop so I can help out with this sort of thing
:)

BTW: if the unofficial releases are individually zipped you could also link
the parts ref to them so people could search for and download just the parts
they want. Not sure how practical that would be (plus I guess you'd need to
link all the officially parts to a "offical release" page and the "not done"
parts to a "not done yet" page which could make things a bit difficult).

Dan