 CAD / 5790
Re: Parts Update?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:53:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
"Orion" <pobursky@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GC97Iy.5L2@lugnet.com...
Am I the only one disappointed by the fact that we haven't had a new
infusion of parts in over 6 month?  Maybe I missed some earlier discussion,
but what gives?

Orion

Well, perhaps the fact that what you've already downloaded has been free (to
you -- making it available has cost volunteers time and money) could quench some
of that disappointment.

The reason there hasn't been a parts update in a while is we are currently
working on making the way parts get approved and distributed better - so in the
future new parts will come more frequently, and not have to wait for a vote and
a group of parts to be assembled.

LDraw.org is a volunteer effort done by people with real lives outside of
maintaining the site.  Steve, the Parts Guy (tm), has a full time job and a
family.  I have school full time and other activities on top of that.

It disappoints me that I haven't had the time or energy to put into making the
site a better resource for the users.  At the same time though, 'what gives?'
posts make me less and less interested in the project.

The next big thing, besides getting some other people started on editing pages,
is a series of discussion panels and tutorials at BrickFest 2001
(www.brickfest.com).

-Tim

M'sieur Tim,
     I thank you for concerning yourself about the well-being of the parts
authors. I, however, am one that actually tries to design new elements *during*
his work hours (because I'm usually too spread out otherwise). As for the person
who does the actual updating, I cannot speak for him and can only wish him well
in all of his labors. I do have to admit that it is not always a "cake-and-ice-
cream" endeavor, but the fun is in using the finished product in one of your own
models (or seeing it used in other people's). As of now, I can't wait until
someone is finally able to use my old-style 4 x 10 x 2/3 Car Frame or my various
official space-themed Complete Minifig Shortcuts. In fact, I used them in the
Classic Space Contest, as did Jason Mantor.
I would go about making more new elements (non-custom patterns, at least) if I
had the knowledge to do so. Until then, I can only improve on the pre-existing
ones.

James J.
"Don't just 'play well', play better!"

P.S.: If anyone has questions about any of my custom-decorated and built
elements, such as my 1 x 2 C.V.G.S. (Compact Video Game System) Tile,
e-mail me at jejackso@memphis.edu and I will tell you all that you need to know.