 Trains / 23963 (-100)
  Some pics I found

I came across some pics that I never posted and thought I'd share. These first 2 were taken by Brian Williams in the summer of 2003 when he and his son visited the TCLTC clubhouse (which has since moved to a new location). Sadly for me, I never got (...) (20 years ago, 6-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) I'll have to look into that. I'm really not running the motors anywhere near their limit. The biggest single load is this train: (URL) at 1/2 speed, when the car is full of soccer balls. And, that's running off an RCX. Thanks for the info (...) (20 years ago, 6-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) Thanks for calling this to attention. A big Thanks to Thomas Rosenberg Andersen, who pointed this out to me earlier in a private mailing. He noticed that I had pictured the Dining Car part inventory on the Sky Lounge page. The (URL) Sky Lounge (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) Check the Linear Tech LT1083/4/5 series. They are pin compatible with the part that is already in the controller. LUCNY uses some of my modified controllers. You need to change; The bridge rectifer diodes to handle the chosen maximum current (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) "BAD" things won't happen, the circuit is kiddy-proof :) (the regulator IC will shut down when getting too warm) If you're a good D-I-Y person with electronics/soldering experience my mod might be for you. Requirements - Screwdriver to open up (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) Are you using the standard transformer with the controller? If so, the rating is 7VA, which will probably give about half an amp at 9V after losses. With a more powerful transformer you could get a bit more out of the controller as others have (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Looking for train designs

(...) We'll make a trainhead out of you yet... Worked on JB! :) Rob (20 years ago, 6-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) James, Happy New Year! Absolutely wonderful models!! Now if I can scrap up some gray train bases... I'll get to building them. Meanwhile, parts collection is underway. By the way, an errata for your book - Page 47 has the listing for the parts (...) (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Looking for train designs

(...) Thanks for the idea. I took the 4563 idea and came up with this: (URL) seems to work well in my Great Ball Contraption Steve (20 years ago, 5-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

(...) Not to me;-) JOHN (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) OR.... You can soop it up. OR you can have someone soop it up for you:-) That is just what I did. Jeff Titchenal of the (URL) Southern Pacific LEGO Train Club> (I hope this is okay to plug your stuff, Jeff!) sells modified 3 amp transformers (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Transformer Power

(...) The chip in the controller is officially rated at 1.3A, but it has a rather small heatsink and automatic thermal shut down, so it seems to go to about 1A continuous. You can push it, but it'll warm up and shut down on you, then you have to (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Transformer Power

Can anyone tell me how much current a standard train controller puts out? I want to run several standard 9v gear motors from a train controller. But, I'm not sure how many I can run, before bad things start to happen. Thanks Steve (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  8 wheeled steam train with driving rods

Mayby not as challenging as the topic title says, but at least I got your attention ;-) I like the way the lego trains were build in the blue track era, but I make no problem with using new parts as well. Having built 4 and 8 wheeled (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

(...) Oh, sure I ask you about a few nit picky details and you go right for the "does it work" jugular vein. Just kidding. Actually, it doen't get run that much, so I did some preliminary testing. I ran it backwards over a point with five 8-wide (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Looking for train designs

(...) The doors [LDrawPart 4181px1] (or (URL) 4181px1> link to peeron inventory, the LUGNET parts ref isn't working as there is no image currently) or the cab front? [LDrawPart 2924] (or (URL) 2924> ditto) The cab front is very hard to come by, it (...) (20 years ago, 3-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Looking for train designs

(...) Thanks. The 4563 looks good. I'll just have to come up with some of those pieces used for the doors. This train is part of a Great Ball Contraption module, which should show up at Brickfest later this year... Steve (20 years ago, 3-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Looking for train designs

(...) Framed 2 axle, or two independent truck, 4 axle? In either case, cribbing from the official sets is not a bad approach... 4563 for a 2 axle and 4565 for a 2 truck 4 axle. Both are on BrickShelf instruction scans I believe. Those designs are (...) (20 years ago, 3-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Looking for train designs

I don't usually read .train, but I just found myself needing to add a train to my robot. So, I'm trying to find a design for a small switchyard type engine. Can someone point me to some cool modern designs? Thanks Steve (20 years ago, 3-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The royal train website?

(...) The newest version worked for me, some of the style elements were missing but the content seemed to be there e.g. (URL) (20 years ago, 3-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The royal train website?

(...) Alack. Wayback only has the front page. (20 years ago, 2-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The royal train website?

(...) (20 years ago, 2-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The royal train website?

Alas, it's New Year's and there's no Royal Train. (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Layout Started

Whoops. basement4.jpg : Playroom nearing completion. Window trim treatment debate finally settled. -=revise to=- (URL) Overview of the big people's side of the project. This took nearly three years, starting out as a simple request to insulate the (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Layout Started

(...) I'd like to see the pics, but you need to post the deep links to the images themselves (hint: URL's should end in .jpg, not ?i=NNNNN) (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Layout Started

Thank you all for the advise and help. We're underway with starting a shelf layout. The basement project is finally complete, last of the paint and carpeting. The playroom is nearly 11' a 11' and has already been claimed by a Duplo freight. Seeing (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Live Broadcast from NBC11 News

Great TV spot! Kudos! (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sac, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.org.us.sacbb, lugnet.trains, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Live Broadcast from NBC11 News

Because of delays due to Christmas and BrickShelf moderation, here is the deep link to the news clip: (URL) was a live broadcast on Wednesday, December 22, 2004, on NBC11 News. The broadcast was from the BayLTC Christmas train layout currently on (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jan-05, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sac, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.org.us.sacbb, lugnet.trains, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: My First Train MOC - Red Boxcar

(...) Thanks! (...) I might give that a try. I'm planning on doing another boxcar in the same style so I can take more detailed pictures during construction. Marc Nelson Jr. (URL) Marc's Creations>> (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 12 spoke Train Wheels that were not released

(...) Hi Gary, I asked the same question a few times, but got no positive answer so far. Obviously no prototype has ever left the company. (URL) the meantime lots of other riddles are solved. Most of it has found its way on my train homepage. (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Ah hah! Yes, thats a problem I've been modifying the LUCNY controllers. New bridge recitifier diodes (5A). Bigger reservoir cap (25,000uF) and a better chip (LTC1084 or LTC1085). This is pin and function compatible with the chip in there but (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Hello, It's look like you were using a few motor on that outer loop. With a single Lego regulator which can supply about 1A (1000mA) you can run 2-3 motors. Each motor use about 300~350mA under normal load. If you run heavy train they need (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) What about amperage? We had a problem at our current train show at the Palo Alto museum where the outer loop was performing very badly. We tried adding new connectors but to no avail. Turned out we were using an underpowered power supply - we (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What's the Buzz? (New Moc by Steve Barile)

Hi John, Thanks for the plug! (Is paypal ok for the $5.00? ;) ) SteveB (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

Thanks! I hope you didn't think I meant that you are the "boy" in this analogy! I have been coping your work for years! :D Initally I had the cab further back but the MOC (LEGO selective compression etc... tight radius etc...) called for this (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My First Train MOC - Red Boxcar

I think it looks real nice! I was wondering how it might look if the spacing was 4 studs between the ribs and 1x4 tiles horizontally placed. Hmmm... SteveB PS with a fist MOC like that, maybe I ought to wait 24 years! :) (IOW Cool MOC, congrats!) (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 12 spoke Train Wheels that were not released

(...) Oh shit! My brandnew 21" monitor just slipped through my hands be trying this... ;-)) Happy new year to you Gary, bye Ronald (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

(...) Yeah, the men go home, but the boys dig deeper into their LEGO bins for just the right part :) (...) Ha ha, my thread. This is actually Jonathan's thread asking for examples of MOC's using Big Ben Bricks drivers. Sure, your design is a 2-6-0, (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  12 spoke Train Wheels that were not released

A few months ago one of the AFOL's brought to my attention the fact that 12 spoke red train wheels were not produced for sale, and yet they show up in 1968-75 Lego brochures and books. I was unaware just how much this "faux pas" existed in old Lego (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) True but changing the color scheme will make the cars NOT be Santa Fe Cars. I think a blue would look very nice but then when you pull them with the Grey Santa Fe Engine it will not look right. =( -AHui (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  What's the Buzz? (New Moc by Steve Barile)

(URL) Steve- I wanted to comment on your new creation but I didn't want to bury a thread in another, and it appears you aren't going to start a new one yourself.... I like this Bumble Bee-- the color scheme works very well with the medium orange, (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  My First Train MOC - Red Boxcar

Well, it took me 24 years, but I finally built a train MOC: (URL) page>> The 1/5 stud offset technique used to make the ribs of the boxcar is a (URL) Mark Chan> roof technique, slightly modified. This was built as a Christmas gift, but I enjoyed (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

Yes, the piston and connecting rod design certain can seperate the men from the boys (& women from the girls). In fact that's where most of my time was spent on the Bumble Bee! And BTW thanks for the confession! :) Here's a few pics and a few words: (...) (20 years ago, 29-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  The making of Thomas the Tank Engine

As promised to John I have scanned and uploaded an article about the making of the Thomas the Tank Engine series. It can be found at (URL) once moderated Deep links: Page 1: (URL) 2: (URL) 3: (URL) (20 years ago, 29-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

(...) Thanks for the exclamation point, and, yep, you got the piston thing right. I wanted a round cylinder. In the picture that I was using, the cylinder looked like a cylinder with a box on top. I choose to emphasize the cylinder instead of the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

Nice work Chris! Can you explain a little about your driver links. It looks like the piston rod is static and that technic element slides along it...??? SteveB PS I just finished a 2-6-0 Mogul in Rio Grande Bumblebee livery (Med Orange, Black & (...) (20 years ago, 28-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Yeah, I am not too crazy about modding LEGO either, but there are some mods that are fine by me. Chris's read switches are just such a mod. His crossing gates are awesome, and the read switches that control them work very well. I just I (...) (20 years ago, 28-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Good thought, Patrick. Thanks. I didn't build the framework that the track rides on--it was in the house when I bought it, so I didn't think to check how level it was. Mark (20 years ago, 28-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Hello, Just something I thought of that may be worth bringing up as trouble shooting your problem would be making sure that your layout around the perimeter of your son's room is level all around. Sure it sounds like a power issue in the far (...) (20 years ago, 28-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Thanks for the info, Mark. The train I am running is one of the Large Locomotives (Item#: KT105). I have 5 passenger cars (Item#: 10015), and 1 caboose (Item#: 10014). Total of 1 motor. I was thinking that maybe I had too many cars on it, but (...) (20 years ago, 27-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) What sort of trains are you running? The advice depends on this as it specifies the power requirement. My layout has a circuit of 106 pieces of track and I use parallel-connected feed wires, one at each end, so that the through-sidings on each (...) (20 years ago, 27-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) [SNIP] (...) Hi Chris, we have used even more than 3 controllers on one long loop at FGLTC shows. The controllers have not even been put to the same speed level. No problems occured, since the LEGO equipment is really sturdy and kid proof. I (...) (20 years ago, 27-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Hey John, Thanks for the advice. I don't have any pictures posted yet, sorry. If I ever get that done, I'll post something about it. I kind of liked the idea suggested earlier about simply running two power lines from the same regulator to (...) (20 years ago, 27-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) John, Two controlers on the same track? In the past, people have always said that two controlers on the same track was a bad idea. The explanation that was put forward was that the controler that was running at a slightly lower voltage would (...) (20 years ago, 26-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) The GMLTC has this problem in our 'small' (approximately 100 feet of track) loop, because our larger 8-wide trains are heavy and we really work the motors hard. Our solution? Add another speed regulator! We put one at each end of the dogbone, (...) (20 years ago, 26-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) If that's causing the trouble, there's a couple of things you can do. Clean the contacts with a pencil eraser to remove dirt, finger oils, and surface corrosion. Carefully apply a little bit of "contact conditioner", available at computer and (...) (20 years ago, 26-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

A builder can always change the color scheme. The more important thing is your design, which, as always, is excellent. "James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message news:I96rsI.xuD@lugnet.com... (...) (20 years ago, 26-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) I agree with the advice John gave, although not completely with the "why"... the drop in voltage is, in my view, due to the resistance at each track sections abutment with the next. (...) It is in your posting setup rather than you profile, (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: How do I power a long track?

(...) Hi ! This is a problem we encounter all the time. The solution is quite simple - add extra power connectors at selected locations around the track. Use the long Lego wires (hard to get) or make your own - cut a shorter wire and splice in some (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  How do I power a long track?

Hello everybody, I have a train track that runs around the perimeter of my son’s bedroom on a platform that extends out from the wall. The problem is that the train seems to really slow down around the opposite end of the track from where the power (...) (20 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

"Paul S. D'Urbano" <durbano@optonline.net> wrote in message news:I973Au.MDF@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) I'd (...) Peeron (...) like (...) sets (...) missing (...) don't (...) the (...) couldn't (...) MPD (...) replace (...) things (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) Thanks James. No rush, please take your time. I'll be up to my ears in Christmas festivities for the foreseeable future anyway :-) Take as long as you like. When you do get around to it (again, no rush!) one thing I found was that I'd have to (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) Thanks Samarth. That sounds like a clever idea. I don't expect to be working on any custom cars of my own in the near future so no need to snap any sneak preview pictures on my behalf. I can wait for you to post them publicly. I look forward (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  NELUG at Greenberg Train and Toy show December 18 and 19

The gallery on the NELUG web site has been updated with pictures from our appearance at the December Greenberg Train and Toy show in Wilmington MA. We had a couple new Skyscrapers in this layout in our growning Downtown area. We seem to be growing (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.general) !

  Lego Performance Art - Stealing the "T" at NELUG Greenburg show

Hello everyone! As many people know, I have a model of Tech Tower from Georgia Tech. One of the cool traditions about Tech Tower is the act of Stealing the "T" from the group of letters on the top of the tower. Many attempts have been made over the (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.publish, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) Ooh, 7 wide would be cool! later, James Mathis (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) This was a troubling issue during my development of the Hi-Level cars. The grey colour change and the disappearance of the Club Car gave me months of pause. I stopped working on the design. I finally decided to pick it back up and finish it (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) I tried; but, I never found a way to get a build-up equivalent to have place the lower level floor to be at the same height as the split-level train baseplate. Uhm, may I humbly and cautiously suggest... using black split-level train (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) Wow! That's a really good way to approach getting the parts you need. The part acquisition has always troubled me. I want people to have as easy a time building the model as possible, and making an MPD file available to assist this process (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) SNIPPY Hi Paul, I've been having some very good results using slack action coupling using technic 1 x x plates which are used in car axles. By using multiples of them, you can join the cars so close together that they actually touch- on (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

"lester witter" <witter@erim-int.com> wrote in message news:I96J2u.ou7@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) maybe (...) and (...) Actually a Club Car would be old grey. The production run ended before the color change and they are not producing (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) SNIP (...) Is there any way to build an equilalent to the split base using plates and maybe technic (lift arms?). This is a difficult part. You have to buy a club car and it might not be old gray Lester (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) SNIP (...) SNIP (...) James, These look great. I'd love to be able to build the whole consist. I was curious if you were planning to release the MPD files? I find these come in handy for trying to figure out what parts I don't have via Peeron. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) No problem and thanks for the fast response! If only all site maintainers would act as graciously ;) (...) As soon as I've moved I'll have to try building some of these... although they might get a bit of 7 or 8 wide modding :D (20 years ago, 22-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone made an American 4-4-0 with BBB wheels?

(...) Yep, and surprisingly if you google "American 4-4-0 LEGO" you get a bunch of hits. One is mine :) (URL) (20 years ago, 22-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) I'll spit it up as just a bunch of PNG images over on BrickShelf in several car-specific folders. Sorry about this PPT IE Explorer issue. I thought it might offer some nicer navigation tools without me punching out some hand-written html. (...) (20 years ago, 22-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

(...) (URL) You Can Build it! Hi-Level El Capitan> web-page generated by PowerPoint (...) It seems that the software you used makes HTML that only renders correct in Internet Explorer :( Both Mozilla and Konquerer (similair to Apple MacOSX Safari) (...) (20 years ago, 22-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level

Happy Holidays to everyone! For several months I've been working on a new train construction book based on the Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level set from 1956. Please check out (URL) Brian Clough's Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level page> and his (URL) of the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !!

  Re: Another big house of my little town

In lugnet.announce.moc, Andreas Böker wrote: (another jawdropper) Wow, that's cool... the front is very ornate, really captures the real thing nicely. And those trams are great, even if they are a trifle (ahem) wide. :) Are those tiles white or tan? (...) (20 years ago, 21-Dec-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) Hmmm. I'm not sure which is worse-- LEGO mutilation or use of non-LEGO parts. (I have done both in the past). Personally, I'd glue the pellets to a black plate and "create" a new element rather than use an all non-LEGO solution. YMMV, JOHN (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) I had a similar thought. I have a baggy of LEGO pellet, but it's in red. But one of our club members works at plastic injection house, adn got me a bag of black pellet. The pellet is rough cubes, ~1/8" across. My thought was to glue these to (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) Unfortunatly, you cant attach drive rods to 9v train wheels. Once I can afford some BBB wheels, I want to do an even more accurate American 4-4-0 (mabie in 8-wide) but for now my parts selection prevents me from doing drive rods :) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Micro roundhouse

(...) Yes I agree- it's very detailed for it's size. If I had that many grilles, I'd run and make one too. The doors seem to open too. All in all, a very detailed MOC. BTW, you can hit the up button and see his other stuff. Worth a look. Pretty cool (...) (20 years ago, 20-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Micro roundhouse

As the builder hasn't announced it here I thought I would draw your attention to this micro-scale roundhouse, its very cool. It even looks like the turntable actually works (URL) (20 years ago, 19-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) I don't know, I've never tested it under such duress. I don't imagine it would damage the motor at all, but it may damage the clutch after prolonged use. (...) I've found the easiest way is with rubber bands, and though it is usually a little (...) (20 years ago, 19-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) Here's how I did it: (URL) know coal doesn't generally get that light, but it's hard to see details in black LEGO. I was happy with how it turned out anyway. ROSCO (20 years ago, 19-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pinguim: Some very interesting techniques

SNIPPY Hi Chip, I too was looking at these at brickshelf and was truly impressed. Its always good when a new and different Train MOC comes along. The BL2 has to be my favourite. When I saw the thumb, I was like 'there's no way thats been done in (...) (20 years ago, 19-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) How safe is it to routinely torque that slip clutch? I usually put it in for safety, but try not to need it -- something like a rope ladder for the upstairs bedroom. I'm thinking of a situation where a four-year old (and possibly several of (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Pinguim: Some very interesting techniques

(...) Thanks! I grew up near Northern Maine Junction--thus the interest in the Maine Central and the Bangor and Aroostook. You are right that I was mostly concerned with the shape of the engines (my son laments that he can't put minifigs in them). I (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Some houses for a new GATS layout

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote: <snip> (...) I like your extensive use of the newer, non traditional colors instead of the more typical and less convincing primary colors. They are harder to obtain and cost a LOT more, but in the end I (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) Thanks for the nod, Ondrew:-) Jonathan, I think the key is to use 1x1s and rotate them around randomly so as to break up all of the 90 degree angles as much as possible. My best suggestion would be to use black ABS pellets, but unfortunately (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Some houses for a new GATS layout

They are David K's. Neat new colors, Steve. They kinda look like those bright Plasticville houses. -Stefan- (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: how to make coal for a tender?

(...) (URL) should help you out. good luck and don't forget the drive rods for that steam engine. ondrew (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Some houses for a new GATS layout

(...) my caboose is on a siding behind them. I'll drop him a note, he's pretty school-busy right now. (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  how to make coal for a tender?

How can I do good looking coal for a coal tender? The tender has an open face that points to the cab (so they can shovel the coal into the firebox) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Price of automation... (Was Re: Say What???)

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote: <snip> (...) Why? A remote automated switch (assuming you mean one you can switch remotely) from LEGO would run about $35-$50 per point! It's so much cheaper to do it yourself using one of the half-dozen plans (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Some houses for a new GATS layout

Hi All, I was totally inspired by a street of houses that I saw displayed at BrickFest in DC last summer (04) and wanted to build some for myself. Of course I mentioned that I wanted to "copy" these to the original builder (I forgot his name, so (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Try braking. This is from memory so might be all wet... If you just turn power off, the motor coasts to a stop. But supposedly you can send the motor a speed 0 command, I think, and the motor stops right then, frozen in place. It takes more (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) The way that my design ended up, that isn't an issue. The arm just goes up and down as the wheel/motor rotates. It doesn't go past horizontal or vertical positions (by luck, not design :^) ) (...) There's a weak spot in my signals above the (...) (20 years ago, 18-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...

(...) Easiest way is to have a stop of some kind at both extremeties of movement, and introduce some kind of slip into the drive mechanism, like rubber bands or a slip clutch (URL) each cycle runs the motor longer than it needs, and the clutch slips (...) (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact