 Trains / 23910
Re: How do I power a long track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:25:50 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Assi wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have a train track that runs around the perimeter of my son’s bedroom on a
platform that extends out from the wall.  The problem is that the train seems to
really slow down around the opposite end of the track from where the power is
connected. What do you guys do to keep a train running smoothly on those large
layouts I’ve seen you put up at shows?

I’d appreciate any advice you could give.
Thanks,
Mark

The GMLTC has this problem in our 'small' (approximately 100 feet of track)
loop, because our larger 8-wide trains are heavy and we really work the motors
hard.

Our solution?  Add another speed regulator!  We put one at each end of the
dogbone, and it works just great.  Since it's a DC system, adding more power
inputs won't cause you problems.

Have you posted pictures of the train?  I'd love to see how it looks in your
son's room.

JohnG, GMLTC

John,

   Two controlers on the same track? In the past, people have always
said that two controlers on the same track was a bad idea. The
explanation that was put forward was that the controler that was running
at a slightly lower voltage would overheat. From your experience, this
isn't a problem?

Thanks,
Chris