 Trains / 23932
Re: How do I power a long track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:38:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Assi wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have a train track that runs around the perimeter of my son’s bedroom on a
platform that extends out from the wall.  The problem is that the train seems to
really slow down around the opposite end of the track from where the power is
connected. What do you guys do to keep a train running smoothly on those large
layouts I’ve seen you put up at shows?

What about amperage?  We had a problem at our current train show at the Palo
Alto museum where the outer loop was performing very badly.  We tried adding new
connectors but to no avail.

Turned out we were using an underpowered power supply - we switched it for a
1000mA one and it worked well.

Hello,

It's look like you were using a few motor on that outer loop. With a single Lego
regulator which can supply about 1A (1000mA) you can run 2-3 motors. Each motor
use about 300~350mA under normal load. If you run heavy train they need more.

Reading your comment I wonder if you where using Lego regulator with the
supplied voltage adaptor (the black think that plug in the wall) or another one.
The Lego voltage adaptor can supply 1A and it is also the maximum output of the
Lego regulator, try to use more current and the voltage drop to near 0V (measure
of protection against short circuit).

One thing you can do to have more current (and also help to reduce speed drop
for long loop) is to use 2 (or more) voltage regulators on each loop, connect
each of them further appart (in track length) from each other, make sure that
when you turn the knob (either clock wise on counter clock wise) on each
regulator, the train is going in the same direction (if not reverse a single
wire connection). Set the speed on both regulator to the speed notch and you are
ready to go.

Martin