 Trains / 23933
Re: How do I power a long track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:55:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward wrote:

Turned out we were using an underpowered power supply - we switched it for a
1000mA one and it worked well.

Ah hah!

Yes, thats a problem I've been modifying the LUCNY controllers. New bridge
recitifier diodes (5A). Bigger reservoir cap (25,000uF) and a better chip
(LTC1084 or LTC1085). This is pin and function compatible with the chip in there
but bumps the current up to 5A and 7.5A. I also drilled some holes in the base
and a larger hole in the side to add a 1" fan.

Once you have 5A or more available, it is vital to deliver it via multiple wires
to the track! One track connector will not connect that amount of current
without overheating.

JB