 Trains / 23902
Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:

Wow! That’s a really good way to approach getting the parts you need. The part acquisition has always troubled me. I want people to have as easy a time building the model as possible, and making an MPD file available to assist this process should be fine. I have some tweaking to do the MPD file that I would release for this application. Please forgive me that this might take another day or two.

Thanks James. No rush, please take your time. I’ll be up to my ears in Christmas festivities for the foreseeable future anyway :-) Take as long as you like.

When you do get around to it (again, no rush!) one thing I found was that I’d have to modify the MPD file to get the Ldraw part numbers to match the Peeron part numbers used in the inventories. Typically it would be something like someone used a “Tile” part in Ldraw whereas the Peeron inventory for my sets specified “Tile w/ Groove” parts. You’d end up with it saying you’re missing parts when you really weren’t. There are also a few parts that simply don’t match between Ldraw and Peeron. The end result was that I would modifify the MPD to a point that it would work perfect with Peeron but then MLCAD couldn’t find all the parts if I tried to open it there. (I modify a copy of the MPD with a text editor, instead of MLCAD, since I’m doing simple search and replace work). Anyway, my point is you can’t make it perfect but there are a few things you can do (like using tile w/groove) that will make the MPD more Peeron compatible.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
-Paul