 Trains / 23873
Re: how to make coal for a tender?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   How can I do good looking coal for a coal tender? The tender has an open face that points to the cab (so they can shovel the coal into the firebox)

this should help you out.

Thanks for the nod, Ondrew:-) Jonathan, I think the key is to use 1x1s and rotate them around randomly so as to break up all of the 90 degree angles as much as possible.

My best suggestion would be to use black ABS pellets, but unfortunately they are not available:-(

IIRC there has been some discussion of grinding up black elements in a blender or something and glue them to a plate base to create a “coal load” like you find in model railroadering. Wasn’t that your suggestion, Steve Barile? (never pass up a chance to tar a friend’s good reputation online>;^) Haven’t seen anyone with the stomach for that solution yet.

Good luck.

JOHN