 Trains / 23883
Re: how to make coal for a tender?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:20:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

My best suggestion would be to use black ABS pellets, but unfortunately they are not available:-(

IIRC there has been some discussion of grinding up black elements in a blender or something and glue them to a plate base to create a “coal load” like you find in model railroadering. Wasn’t that your suggestion, Steve Barile? (never pass up a chance to tar a friend’s good reputation online>;^) Haven’t seen anyone with the stomach for that solution yet.

Good luck.

JOHN

I had a similar thought. I have a baggy of LEGO pellet, but it’s in red. But one of our club members works at plastic injection house, adn got me a bag of black pellet. The pellet is rough cubes, ~1/8” across. My thought was to glue these to black sheet plastic to make a drop in peice. And no parts harmed! I’m reworking my steam engins and tenders, so I’ll try it when I’m done.

But wone of my engines is a western style wood burner, so the tender has a bunch for brown bits in the tender.

Mat