 Trains / 23875
Re: Pinguim: Some very interesting techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:04:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I hope this builder will pop in here and discuss some of his or her work.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try a BL2 before! That engine has a lot of
curves and slants and is a very hard engine to model in LEGO.

Although I'm not an 8 wide modeler, these engines are interesting because they
show what you get when you decide to go for shape. There are some very
interesting techniques and ideas in there. In particular I like the way in the
GP model the SNOT nose parts go far enough back to get you grilles and things on
the side.

Thanks!  I grew up near Northern Maine Junction--thus the interest in the Maine
Central and the Bangor and Aroostook.  You are right that I was mostly concerned
with the shape of the engines (my son laments that he can't put minifigs in
them).  I generally try to find measured drawings (length alone suffices) and I
use a ruler, proportions, and few photos do the modeling.

I tried to do a couple things with the BL2.  In order to achieve the angle on
the back, the base is 6-wide and the top is 5-wide--I used a row of 1x2 hinges
on each side to achieve this--the top isn't attached completely--the outside
edge is, which gives the appearance of a solid attachment.  The long slopes from
the cab to the rear of the unit are just angled tiles--there aren't slopes
available with that angle.  The curved bits on the front and back are attached
via normal SNOT techniques.  I couldn't locate 3x3 corner round plates (30357)
in blue for the curve in the rear so I just used a curved brick.

The chopnose GP7 was my first train MOC, which I originally built as a 6-wide.
The proportions seemed wrong to me, so I rebuilt it as an 8-wide.  The back (and
front) of the unit is 5-wide with two 1.5-wide walkways, which I achieved with
lots of jumper plates and tiles.  The biggest challenge with these engines was
attempting to use SNOT for the grilles given that there are aren't many technic
bricks, headlights, etc. available in orange.  The other problem was that that
the rear grilles were really close to the end of the unit, which I also wanted
to model in SNOT, so the solution was to combine the two.  I also had a problem
with the striping--I finally decided to carry the striping through the SNOT
sections.  If you look closely you will notice that the striping between the
sections of grilles is 1/2 a plate thicker than in the area in between--it's
horizontal 1x1 plates and bricks.  Another problem was building the SNOT grilles
underneath the cab.  Here, as in the rear of the engine, the SNOT sections are
simply carried through the body of the engine in order to cut down on the number
of SNOT connections.  In fact the larger sections of SNOT on the engine are held
in by the surrounding bricks rather than direct connections to the surrounding
bricks.  I also spent a fair amount of time trying to get the stairs right on
the trucks.  I'm still not satisfied with the angled ends on these units, nor
the curvature of the cab roof.

Building in green and orange has proven to be quite fun.  While there aren't as
many options, you are forced to think creatively to solve problems.  I am
currently working on an ALCO RS11 in Maine Central colors (orange and green)
which I should finish soon. I'll post some photos.

Cheers,

Chip