 Trains / 23876
Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:32:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:

Easiest way is to have a stop of some kind at both extremeties of movement, and
introduce some kind of slip into the drive mechanism, like rubber bands or a
slip clutch http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/60c01

Then each cycle runs the motor longer than it needs, and the clutch slips when
the bar reaches the stop.

How safe is it to routinely torque that slip clutch?  I usually put it in for
safety, but try not to need it -- something like a rope ladder for the upstairs
bedroom.

I'm thinking of a situation where a four-year old (and possibly several of his
friends) might be leaning on the power button -- or even, click it into the "on"
position and not quickly realize how to shut it off.  Will the slip clutch keep
the motor safe even if this happens frequently?  Or, will it heat up/wear
out/otherwise repay my abuse?

I've worked out a mechanical limit-stop mechanism that I feel confident in, but
it's bulky.  If my fear of relying on the slip clutch is nothing but
superstition, then I could make my module quite a bit smaller.

Thanks,
- Joe