 Trains / 23849
Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:35:58 GMT

Anyone have any tips on programming the crossing so it works
reliably in all light conditions?

Yes, go with magnets! :)

I put my programme in the RCX 3 times, each time changing the light sensor to a
higher setting.
It worked great the 1st time in a shopping mall, but our next venues were w-a-y
too bright, well beyond the highest setting.
As a back-up, I could use my remote to manually opperate the gates without
anyone catching on.
I had my sensors across the tracks from each other, and at a slight angle, so
the gaps between the rail cars wouldn't re-trigger the timing sequence.

Perhaps if the sensor was above the tracks, pointing down, and the light source
was below the tracks, it would be less affected by ambient light.

Better yet, go with magnets.