 Trains / 23925
23924  |  23926
Subject:
12 spoke Train Wheels that were not released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:15:04 GMT

A few months ago one of the AFOL's brought to my attention the fact that 12
spoke red train wheels were not produced for sale, and yet they show up in
1968-75 Lego brochures and books.  I was unaware just how much this "faux pas"
existed in old Lego literature until I started looking thru some of my train
related brochures and books (#242 - Der Lego Motor).  It appears that Lego used
the 12 spoke prototypes in at least 80% of their catalogs and books.  Do any
Train folk have examples of these 12 spoke spoked wheels?  Or are all the
prototypes in "the vault" in Billund?

Just curious

Gary Istok

P.S.  I found an easier way to check for the old 12 spoke variety.  Turn the
Lego picture so that you have it look like a clock with one spoke at 12:00 and
one at 6:00.  If you find a 3:00 and 9:00 spoke, then your picture will be of
the 12 spoke variety.  If there is no 3:00 and 9:00 spoke, then your picture is
of the common 10 spoke variety.  It sure is a lot easier on your eyes than
trying to count out the spokes.