 Trains / 23953
Re: Transformer Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:16:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
   Can anyone tell me how much current a standard train controller puts out?

I want to run several standard 9v gear motors from a train controller. But, I’m not sure how many I can run, before bad things start to happen.

Thanks

The chip in the controller is officially rated at 1.3A, but it has a rather small heatsink and automatic thermal shut down, so it seems to go to about 1A continuous. You can push it, but it’ll warm up and shut down on you, then you have to wait a while as it cools.

Hope that helps,

JB

OR.... You can soop it up. OR you can have someone soop it up for you:-) That is just what I did.

Jeff Titchenal of the Southern Pacific LEGO Train Club (I hope this is okay to plug your stuff, Jeff!) sells modified 3 amp transformers in his Bricklink store and they ROCK:-) I bought 2, and have been very pleased by the added performance and power delivered. My 8 wide rolling stock can get quite heavy, but I can, for instance, pull 12 of these with 2 locos (4 motors) no problem. And I bet I could haul more if I had longer straights.

Jeff claims one can run 10 motors on 1 line; it is one of the best mods in terms of practicality for LEGO trains I have seen.

JOHN