 Trains / 25566
25565  |  25567
Subject:
Modified Transformers Question (Re was: Transformer Power)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:40:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:

  1. Heavier version of the LM317 regulator IC in TO-3 housing (should do at
  2. version)

Check the Linear Tech LT1083/4/5 series. They are pin compatible with the part that is already in the controller.

LUCNY uses some of my modified controllers. You need to change;

The bridge rectifer diodes to handle the chosen maximum current

The smoothing capacitor as the ripple voltage will be higher at higher current and “dip” into your output voltage.

The heatsinking. (I fabricated a multi-fin heatsink with a tiny 1” fan to keep it cool.

We’ve used these controllers for three years without serious reliability problems.

One let go at Brickfest two years ago and surprisingly it was one of the 5A bridge diodes that popped.

JB

John,

We had the luxury of using your controllers at the NMRA show (Thanks a ton!), and I am interested in modifiying my own. I think I’ve got enough information to swap the internal components, but negelected to look at the wallwart (power adapter) that replaced the LEGO one.

Will a 12V 3Amp adapter work, or should the voltage stay at 9V?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeramy