 Star Wars / 8213
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:46:39 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Damien Nesbit writes:
Scott, please let me introduce you to a secret that I'm fairly sure most lego
users are hip to...   The "yellow" minifigs are representations of human
beings who are lighter in skin color, i.e.  white people.  EVERY LEGO SET EVER
MADE IS A PROVERBIAL WHITE PACK.

Yeah, except the ones with Oriental people (who oddly enough have the same
skin color as 'white people') or Native Americans (who oddly enough have
the same skin color as 'white people', even though there are plenty of
them who are darker in real life than some 'black people')  And those
Carribean/South Seas islanders from the Pirate sets probably weren't
exactly fair-skinned in the real world either.  Did you honestly think
they were 'white'?

A decision by TLG
to represent darker human beings in the minifigs would be something that we
all benefit from.

So what happens when the Native Americans start complaining that their
figs are yellow instead of a 'proper' skin tone?  Or the Asians start
complaining that their figs being yellow is a negative stereotype of the
'Yellow Peril' style?  Is TLC going to be forced to put out 100 different
colors of 'skin tones' to represent the variety of skin colors possible in
the human species?

LEGOland is not the real world.  There aren't white people, there aren't
black people, there are just *people*.  I wish more people in this world
would look at it that way.