 Star Wars / 8540
Re: Where Brooklyn at? (Was: racial politics, black pack, etc.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:17:18 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Damien Nesbit writes:
I can't explain how pissed I am that I can't outfit a
unit of blacktron with boba fett's jetpack.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I was looking forward to having both a
helmet and a backpack piece from Boba Fett, able to be used seperately.

As far as the statement that the
inclusion of DSMs would make about all previous lego sets, it would be
something like, "Lego was slow (very slow) in creating DSMs for their system
sets" (it's been pointed out that they already exist in duplo).  I hope that
answers your questions E.J. (if there are any I missed, email me directly).

Hmm.  Ok.  I have to find that other post first, though, so I can remember
everything I asked...  I've found this to be an interesting conundrum for Lego
since I heard they took over the SW license, and I am anxious to see what
they'll do about it.  Like I said, it seems to me that no matter *how* they
handle it they're going to be possibly offending people.  As someone who
obviously feels strongly about this issue, I find your thoughts particularly
interesting. :D

P.S. I forgot to adress the issue of whether or not Lucas made conscious
decisions about his black actors and the roles that they play.  In the case of
Mace Windu, lucas had to have made a conscious decision to have a black Jedi.
c'mon, man, Lucas is prophetic.  he had to have seen the importance of casting
a black man as a Jedi in general, but appointing an older one to the Jedi
council was even more indicative of lucas's attempt to big up the black race
within his films.

Actually, the story that I had heard is that Mace Windu was planned before
there was an actor chosen to play him- but that he was not necessarily always a
black man.  Then Samuel L. Jackson indicated an interest in being in the films,
and Lucas decided to make him Mace Windu.  In other words, Windu's casting was
completely devoid of any racial overtones, and based solely on Lucas' thoughts
about Jackson as an actor.  There are actually costume designs that show Mace
as a white Jedi before Jackson was cast in the role.

Finally, I forgot to ask what IMHO and ABS refer to.

IMHO= In my humble opinion
ABS= (something something) Styrene, the plastic Lego bricks are made from.

eric