 Star Wars / 8508
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:16:16 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Karim Nassar writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Christopher Lannan writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Damien Nesbit writes:

Depends on whether you key on hue or value.  Hue (color) is abstract for Lego • -
no one is bright yellow, so why can't that be a neutral color for everyone?
Because of value (relative light and dark).  Lego yellow is pale - and held
next to a Danish designer's skin, is probably not far off when considered on • a
gray scale (kinda pale for a California tan during summer for me, but that's
being picky, I suppose).

Not at all... in fact you've hit the nail right on the head as far as I'm
concerned about the entire race question.  What you call "value" is more
acurately termed (in this discussion anyway) skin albeido. That is, the level
of light reflectivity of the skin surface.

Can't say that I've ever heard of "skin albedo" (not albeido, by the
way).  "Value" in this sense is an artist's term for relative light and
dark.

The fact is, that if you took a broad sampling of all the peoples of the • world,
you could create a perfectly smooth albeido gradient from the darkest dark to
the palest pale, and there would be no interruptions, breaks, or jumps in the
gradient from one end to the other, AND you would not be able to designate any
racial category boundaries between any two people by looking at their skin
albeido or their genetic codings. (paraphrased from _The Human Species, An
Introduction to Biological Anthropology_; Relethford, 1997, Third Edition)

--Karim

So, are you arguing that pale yellow is okay, or pale yellow is not okay?  One
arbitrary point on the pale end represents everyone?  Would one arbitrary
point on the dark end be acceptable to those of European descent?  Would we
see those of european descent making excuses for Lego if the latter was the
case, or wanting another color towards the pale end of the spectrum?

As I said, my bet is that we won't see a Lando at all.

Bruce