 Star Wars / 8498
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:56:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Damien Nesbit writes:

...or the classic tale of genocide and ethnic
cleansing, Cowboys and Indians.  How does one ignore the political foundations
of these sets?

Well, I think that of the three you noted (Pirates, Knight's Kingdom, Wild
West) this one was the one where TLC was treading the most dangerous ground.
The others are pretty clearly in a fantasy realm (Pirating and Privateering had
many political foundations, not to mention that the crew makeups of the ships
is all wrong... just read the lugnet.pirate newsgroup for a while and you'll
get the idea about how off that was historically).  Wild West, on the other
hand, has soldiers in uniforms with "US" on the buckle.  Yikes!  Since getting
a grown-up perspective of history, I've always felt kind of weird about
"cowboys and indians" as a play theme.

I'm really hoping
that we (lego users and TLG), can resolve this issue on our own without
escalating the problem to a media circus,

Hmm.  Well, in the end, TLC is gonna do what they're gonna do.  They're a
privately owned company, and beholden to no one.  We can discuss it all we
want, but Lego Direct- the group that is supposedly going to be helping to
interface with customers to hear their concerns- has been somewhat absentee, at
best.  Perhaps thsi would be a good issue to bring up with them, though.  Maybe
Brad Justus could either hear your suggestions, or at least tell you an
appropriate party to forward them to.

Let me say that a semi-acceptible cop-out for TLG in this situation would be
to bring back the red heads and use these to at least indicate that lando and
mace are not exactly the same type of humanoids as the rest of the star wars
cast.

How would you feel if they used Lego brown?  Granted, it doesn't show the range
of colors that nature does, but it would be one option.

I'll conclude this posting by noting that the issue of race and minifigs would
not be so important to me if lego had never ventured into the Star Wars
realm.

How would you feel if the DSMs, as you put it, never made it into other themes,
but were only used to represent those characters as played by those actors?
What do you think it would say about all previous sets in, say, the town theme
if DSMs started showing up?

How would you feel if Lego made available a parts pack of heads and hands by
which you could create your own DSMs for any theme?   The Lego System's
strength is its customisability, after all.

eric