 Star Wars / 8488
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:11:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
[...]
Seriously, though, I feel that the "all minifigs are one color" line was
fine, up until the point at which they decided to do the Star Wars license.
The problem is, that puts them in the position of making darker-toned Windu,
Panaka, and Calrissians, which sort of casts a bad light on the fact that
all the figs that have come before are lighter- and means they should
probably start including them in sets in other themes going forward.  It's
a tight spot to be in.

This has probably already been pointed out a few times, and doesn't
necessarily apply here because we're talking about minifigs, but I think
it's worth noting again that LEGO has for years been selling DUPLO figs in
various skin tones:

Yeah, I'm aware of that set- in fact, I just referred someone else to it and
215 Red Indians.

What I meant wasn't so much that Lego doesn't have the colors available.  I
meant that as soon as they place one darker toned minifig in, say, a Town set,
they are basically saying that all the 'figs that have come before are
lighter-skinned people.  I think you'll also find that the Duplo sets use an
actual caucasian tone for some figs rather than yellow- which makes it a much
bigger deal to have many shades.

As far as I'm concerned, Lego could have made Legoland minifigs yellow from
here till doomsday and I would have been happy about them using one color to
represent one proto-race of minifigs, with no division.  Legoland has no
bearing on the real world.  But as soon as they took te Star Wars license, they
have a problem- they could go hard-core and use yellow for folks like Panaka
and Mace Windu and Lando, but that's kind of silly.  I mean, a yellow Lando
standing beside a yellow Luke just wouldn't look right.  And maybe they can get
away without making Lando, but supposedly Mace Windu is going to be a major
character in Episodes 2 and 3.  So they're caught between a rock and a hard
place no matter what they do:

1) Never make Windu or Calrissian.  Motives for mot making them would be kind
of obvious, and opens them up for ridicule.

2) Make them yellow.  While preserving the "one minifig race" theory, also kind
of a cop-out.  Not to mention that Samuel L. Jackson and Billy Dee Williams
would have every right to be kind of upset. :D

3) Make them a darker tone.  Suddenly, every other minifig ever made is
caucasian- unless, of course, they take the tack that in every other case there
is one minifig race, but with licensed products they will attempt to mimic the
property as well as possible.  This seems to me to be the best option, but
that's just my opinion.

eric