 Star Wars / 8479
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:52:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Damien Nesbit writes:

Support the Panaka/Windu/Calrissian minifig 3 pack movement and email lego
today!

I'm all for this.  In fact, the first thing I'll do with my second Mace Windu
is make a John Shaft- he's one baaaaaaaad MF (minifig). :D

Seriously, though, I feel that the "all minifigs are one color" line was fine,
up until the point at which they decided to do the Star Wars license.  The
problem is, that puts them in the position of making darker-toned Windu,
Panaka, and Calrissians, which sort of casts a bad light on the fact that all
the figs that have come before are lighter- and means they should probably
start including them in sets in other themes going forward.  It's a tight spot
to be in.

I guess one way to handle it would be to release 'figs of those three
characters (and any others that come up), but not cross-pollinate into other
lines, taking the stance they always have for other lines- minifigs are one
color, but likenesses of real people are a special case.

In any event, I'm interested to see how they are going to print the faces on
the heads.  If they use standard Lego brown, black ink might be too dark, and
if they do anything else they'll be walking a fine line not to make it look
like "blackface", which would only make the situation worse.

eric