 Star Wars / 8482
Re: who's feelin the black pack?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:00:52 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Karim Nassar writes:
<snip>
Lets say that TLG does in fact go ahead and create a DSM that is included as
Mace Windu*, and then cross polinates this into other lines. What sort of
representation do you think people would be happy with?  In other words, how
many DSMs will have to be included in each Town set to keep TLG from getting
sued or boycotted by various groups?  Now keep in mind, that LEGO sets are
designed in Denmark, where I'd hazzard a guess that dark skinned people are a
much smaller minority than in America.  So where does the line fall?  Is it
enough to offer an accessory pack of DSM heads & hands?  Will they be forced • to
make a racial statement, one way or the other with each set that they release?
If they do release a DSM, will they then be forced to change the "standard"
minifig to a tan color, since canary yellow is not a reasonable portrayal of
caucasian skin tones? (BTW, if I were offended by such things, you would
have offended me by saying that my skin is resonably close to Canary Yellow).

You can see that the issues involved can get very sticky very quickly.

I would also think that other problems would arise, besides the is there
the "proper" quantity. But what about actual "roles" in the sets. I think some
groups would get upset if say a set that represents a blue collar job contains
a dark colored mini-fig (i.e. construction set), while say some other more
exciting set contains a yellow fig (i.e. space). I understand that the larger
sets that contain multiple figs would be able to get around this, but what
about the one minifig sets?

Then what about expressions on the faces. Some other group might get upset if
there are darker faces with "angry expressions" a then some yellow faces with
classic smiles.

It would become nearly impossible to keep every little group happy(1). I think
that the yellow works fine for all races. Why would LTC have to make Lando a
different color, I think if they make such a character he will be yellow too.
It wasn't a part of the story line that he was a different race, so I doubt
LTC would bother making a special tone for his head.

jt

1 - I don't agree with group mentality anyways. We should all think of
ourselves as individuals and not members of some special group...well other
than members of LUGNET.