 Star Wars / 8587
8586  |  8588
Subject:
Racial politics in LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:42:48 GMT

I must catch a flight in 15 mintues and will not have email for a few days, but
had to post quickly:

1. No offense Scott S., but just because something has been discussed before
does not mean it should not be discussed again and that nothing will come of
the conversation.  You have little faith in open dialog, apparently.  This
topic should, however, move away from SW and on to Off-topic.

2. Damien, I am starting to agree with some points of your and wholely disagree
with others.  I think releasing a Lando or Windu figure as a "dark-skinned"
minifig would be fine.  I do not think, however, LEGO should or has any reason
to expand beyond this.  Looking over the posts and thinking about it, this is
my arguement:

   a) They made Luke Skywalker blonde, they nade Han with brown hair, they made
Chewbacca browish, even though nothing about their characters or the movie
cares about this fact.  It is just how they are, and recognizable.

   b) Therefore, they could, if they release the Lando and Mace figs, make them
darker skinned and not ruin the consistency of the LEGO line altogether.  I
absolutely do NOT think the characters have anything to do with their race
though.  That is just choice of actor, not race (though to be honest, every
time I see Samuel Jackson speak in EP I, I subconciously attach "muther@$##er"
onto the end of his sentences. :)  That's just his Pulp Fiction character
talking.

They should NOT, however, make any other minifigs outside of a movie, book,
etc. license any other color than yellow.  To do so would be a political and
financial mistake, and is not needed.  Also take a minifigs head from the Ninja
sets, if you have one.  Look at it, ignoring the headband and the context you
remember it in.  Does it look Asian?  Not to me.  Take an "indian" and remove
the facepaint (I dont' have one but looking at a closeup of one I can do this).
It does not look Native-American to me.  I think these things are taken in
context, and the reason they are considered ethnic is because of that context.

I was going to write more, but I have to go.

Jason