 Star Wars / 6229
Re: Early ESB trailer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:33:52 GMT

I know this is an old post, but being the star wars nut that I am I just had to
correct one little thing!

In lugnet.starwars, Matthew Wilkins writes:
<puts on Star Wars Freak hat>
Okay, this was a scene that was originally slated to be in the original
theatre release of ESB; Lucas and Co weren't happy with the way the Wampa
looked (alternately like a man in a furry suit or a jumpy, stop-action
miniature) so they cut this whole sequence from the film. This is also the
reason that the scene where Luke is captured by, then escapes from the Wampa
is a bit rushed. In the Special Edition release, there is a CGI Wampa that
Luke fights,

The wampa in the special edition is not cgi, it is actually a man in a wampa
suit. This wampa suit is of course, much better than the one they had in the
original ESB.

Garett

but Lucas had already decided that the scene where Threepio
tricks the Stormtroopers was a loss, for several reasons:
1) the live action stock from the original shooting didn't lend itself to
reworking,
2) the scene in question didn't much advance the story of an already long movie
c) (I'm not very good at indexing) it was somewhat out of character for
Threepio.

This is not offical Lucas word, just my semi-pro opinion based upon too many
fan magazines and press releases.

-Cheese
<takes off Star Wars freak hat>