 Star Wars / 5975
Re: Empire Analysis : WAS: [Re: Why I think we'll get Stormtroopers + Imperial ships]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:38:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Fraser Lovatt writes:
<snip>
Loads of stuff about the Empire.
</snip>

And has anyone else noticed that just about every single member of the Empire
is played by a British actor and the rebels are nearly all American?

George -- what are you trying to say?

I think that Americans tend to associate the British accent with formality and
sophistication; sort of the regal by-the-book British officer character.  This
stereotype (or so I suppose it could be called) fits well with the
characteristics of the Empire: structure, formality, dignity.  I don't think
that it was a jab by Lucas; I'd hazard that most Americans think that British
accents are pretty cool (I do, anyway), and that the use of British actors • adds
a certain flavor to the characters.  On a side-note, if we see the Empire in • EP
II or EP III, I hope that the officers are sporting the long sideburns again.
I've always thought that was a great touch in ANH.

Princess Leia speaks with a faux-british accent in parts of
ST:ANH, so the "british accent as signifier of evil" theory doesn't
quite pan out across the board.  Not to mention that James Earl
Jones doesn't have much of a britsh accent, while Alec Guiness
does.  =)

To my ears, the british accents used in Star Wars are used
more to signifier "this human came from a highly 'civilized'
world / part of the empire or old republic" while the flatter
American accents indicate a childhood spent on outlying
territories such as Tatooine.  But mostly I attribute it
to a good deal of casting and filming being done in England. =)

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"