 Star Wars / 5863
Re: Why I think we'll get Stormtroopers + Imperial ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:46:56 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.starwars, David C. Pyatt writes:
Weren't those Stormtroopers in the Speeder Bike kit?

No No No... Those were Scout Troopers.  Big difference.  Storm Troopers are
mean and dangerous where the Scout Troopers come off as kind of the wimps of
the Imperial Army.

True, but by Jedi any kind of Stormtrooper unit was made wimpy by Lucas.
Stormtroopers were meant to be the elite shock troops of the Empire.  They were
absolutely loyal to the Emperor, and even kept order even within the ranks of
the Imperial troops.  But again, by Jedi, the Stormtroopers had become a bunch
of bumbling keystone cops.  They were dispatched far too easily by the rock-
throwing Ewoks; I understand that they would have (maybe) had a few casualties,
but...even granting the Ewoks the element of suprise, the Stormtroopers would
have cleaned house.  Scout Troopers are only wimps because Lucas has "Disney-
fied" the movies, and written scripts and characterizations to the least-common
denominator: parents who just want "feel-good" movies to take their kids to, and
who will equip their children with all manner of licensed crap.  Basically,
Lucas realized the hype that was building prior to Return of the Jedi, and he
decided to cash in.  Same thing with the highly disappointing TPM.  Ok.  Thus
endeth my rant.