 Star Wars / 5952
Re: Why I think we'll get Stormtroopers + Imperial ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 04:49:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, James Wilson writes:
Okay, this is a bit off-topic, but the subject seems to have degenerated into
"inconsistencies in the Star Wars movies, and Imperial buffoonery" so here
goes:  at the end of Episode 4, when the Empire is closing in for the kill on
the Rebellion, with the destructive power of the Death Star at hand, why did
they not just destroy the planet that was between them and the rebel base?  I
know, because then there wouldn't be any sequels, but gimme a break! You've • got
planet-destroying capability, you've just blown up a "peaceful planet"
(Alderaan) to make a point, what's one more planet between friends?

James

I'd guess three reasons--
A. Yavin is really big.... it's possible that the Death Star wasn't capable of
  destroying it...
B. The faster they get to the moon with the rebel base, the better... by using
  the planet's gravity to propel themselves, they could perhaps reach the • base
  faster.
C. Perhaps if they destroyed Yavin first, they'd need to wait a long time to
  recharge the superlaser (perhaps planet-destroying blasts need more time
  than others, for we know that the death star II was pretty fast at
  recharging, but that was for capital ship-destroying power, not
  planet-destroying).. Anyway, if it took long enough to recharge, it might
  have given the rebels a chance to escape...

Anyway, some thoughts...

The first death star requiered 24 hours to recharge the superlaser.  The second
which was about 5 times bigger, required only minutes.  Less if the target was
a mere capital ship instead of a planet with a shield. (Yes Alderaan had a
planetary energy shield that had to be breached prior to the planets
destruction.)

-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity