 Star Wars / 5967
Re: Empire Analysis : WAS: [Re: Why I think we'll get Stormtroopers + Imperial ships]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Speaking of the Empire, my biggest complaint with the SW universe, where
I am talking about movies, and not the books, etc. I am not familiar
with them, is that the Empire is really ignorant / dumb/ etc. There are
so many examples, from the Ewoks to the Millennium Falcon on the back of
the ship, etc. It bugs me tremendously. I call it my Bad Guy School of
Idiocy. This school seems to reach most, if not all, bad guys, from
books to movies to video games.
It seems to me that they pick the worst choices in all situations, and
they die or get caught at the end.

I think that one reason that this  happens is because it is just plain easier to
make the bad guys dufuses (I have no idea how to spell that - maybe dufusi?).
It takes more talent, more creativity, more effort, more patience, to make the
bad guys 3-dimensional and to write a thoughtful script.  Let's face it: in
Jedi, the stormtroopers were just a means to an end during the battle of Endor.
Lucas didn't even try to make a story of it.  The Ewoks were the cute
heartwarming element that would pack the cinemas with moms and their youngsters,
and it was a given all along, no matter what, that they would give the
Stormtroopers a mean butt-whipping.  The Stormtroopers were just stand-ins,
stooges, so that everybody could celebrate and feel warm fuzzies about the
little rodents.  I realize that Lucas wanted to have the cold, impersonal,
technology-dominated Empire defeated by a primitive race; that is indeed a good
story line, but it could have been done a bit more credibly, IMO.