 Space / 24873
Re: Feedback (Was Re: There can be only one)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:04:05 GMT

As have I.  The reason I do not post my MOCs is not because they are CAD or
microfig, but because it is a waste of time to post.  I know I'll get maybe
one or two replies, so therefore I don't waste my time.  I {have} proven
this.

All you've proven is that you give up too easily. Looking back on your
posts to
space, you just haven't posted that many MOCs. If you want praise, you have to
really impress. If you want constructive criticism, you have to ask for it
{repeatedly}. A lot of people tend to post when impressed rather than when
they
think they can help your building along. That's the way it is. So you have to
find other ways to improve your building, like research and study other MOCs,
experiment with unusual parts, that sort of thing. It's not an easy road
to fame
and recognition in {any} field really, why should it be any different here?
Consider Rick Hallman. For ages, he posted MOCs and got so little feedback but
he kept on posting MOCs, listening for feedback, improving his building, and
slowly his feeback increased so by now he's quite an accomplished builder. And
all because he {persevered}.

You have a good point here Paul.  you have to make people sit up and take
notice.  and perseverance is the best way  and whining tends not to do that.

Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe there is no hierarchy, but it seems that little
accomplishments by these 'old dudes' make more headlines then huge
accomplishments by unknown dudes, like myself.

Actually, I make a point of not posting feedback for {any} MOC, newbie or
old-timer, unless I think I have some specific point to make. Often I want to
bring attention to certain details, but I generally like giving constructive
(positive) criticism. Why, just in the last few weeks I've given constructive
criticism to several old-timers and newbies alike, even Messrs. Sandlin and
Giddens. Even them!

I have to say Paul, that at Brickmeet last weekend, even though I only
brought one MOC along the response I got really meant a lot to me. Since
you were one of those who commented on it I thought I would mention it.

But feedback is really about one thing, and one thing only. Other people's
points of view.  I like to geed feedback so I can see how other people
think and build.  use those ideas in my own building

Paul and Zac have been big influences on my building of late, but that is
because they have commented on my stuff. (but when you are in the same room
as a MOC it is easier to comment)

While I agree that there's an "in-crowd" element to the former that can be a
little alienating, I disagree on the latter. I think "Real great ships"
get good
recognition here regardless of the builder. Of course, if you have a good
example that I may be overlooking then feel free to point it out.

It is the nature of communities.  but good examples speak for themselves

We're all friendly here, it's just that we're also striving (to some
extent) to
keep the forum as interesting reading as possible. Sometimes I think the two
compromise each other somewhat.

you cannot please all the people all the time

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pbaulch/Icons/scifisig.jpg
Just a note Paul, Love this ship.  but I agree that the boat hull sections
may be a little out of place.  If you want to expand it sideways how about
a second set of engines to give it that hugely overpowered look.