 Space / 24728
24727  |  24729
Subject:
Feedback (Was Re: There can be only one)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dan Mattia wrote:

As have I. The reason I do not post my MOCs is not because they are CAD or microfig, but because it is a waste of time to post. I know I’ll get maybe one or two replies, so therefore I don’t waste my time. I have proven this.

All you’ve proven is that you give up too easily. Looking back on your posts to space, you just haven’t posted that many MOCs. If you want praise, you have to really impress. If you want constructive criticism, you have to ask for it repeatedly. A lot of people tend to post when impressed rather than when they think they can help your building along. That’s the way it is. So you have to find other ways to improve your building, like research and study other MOCs, experiment with unusual parts, that sort of thing. It’s not an easy road to fame and recognition in any field really, why should it be any different here? Consider Rick Hallman. For ages, he posted MOCs and got so little feedback but he kept on posting MOCs, listening for feedback, improving his building, and slowly his feeback increased so by now he’s quite an accomplished builder. And all because he persevered.

   Maybe I’m wrong, Maybe there is no hierarchy, but it seems that little accomplishments by these ‘old dudes’ make more headlines then huge accomplishments by unknown dudes, like myself.

Actually, I make a point of not posting feedback for any MOC, newbie or old-timer, unless I think I have some specific point to make. Often I want to bring attention to certain details, but I generally like giving constructive (positive) criticism. Why, just in the last few weeks I’ve given constructive criticism to several old-timers and newbies alike, even Messrs. Sandlin and Giddens. Even them!

I concur. Some well-known “insider” posts something about a Fleebnork, but when a “newbie” posts a real great ship, it is either ignored or hardly replied to. This is why the newbie will eventually stop posting their MOCs.

While I agree that there’s an “in-crowd” element to the former that can be a little alienating, I disagree on the latter. I think “Real great ships” get good recognition here regardless of the builder. Of course, if you have a good example that I may be overlooking then feel free to point it out.

We’re all friendly here, it’s just that we’re also striving (to some extent) to keep the forum as interesting reading as possible. Sometimes I think the two compromise each other somewhat.

Cheers,