 Space / 24711
Re: There can be only one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:28:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Sean Devolites wrote:
   newbies?

That’s supposed to be the name for the people who are like here for a week isn’t it?

It’s relative -- I’d say someone’s a ‘relative newbie’ until they’ve learned how things operate in an area online; the assumed netiquette, a bit of the culture, etc.

   Either way, this thing has gotten to where the ‘hierarchy’ of Lugnet, the original members, have established this ‘little world’ in where there are many pics and an established rank. To the new ones, be it new as in year new or month new, they are, well, left out. Ive been ignored sometimes, as have others I know, and i admit its turned me off of posting.

These people establish their ranks as a joke between themselves, one that they talk about in public. Ever had an inside joke with some of your friends, talked about it in class, but didn’t share with everyone because you didn’t want it ruined?

I’ve been here longer than the vast majority of people on LUGNET (since before LUGNET even existed), and lots of my posts go un-replied to. It depends on the content - see Bram’s note, he wrote about this better than I can.

   Maybe I’m wrong, Maybe there is no hierarchy, but it seems that little accomplishments by these ‘old dudes’ make more headlines then huge accomplishments by unknown dudes, like myself. This is my opinion, and I’ll prolly get in trouble one way or another for it. I hate tho how younger kids (e.g JHK, me, Dan, any other people who I didn’t name) are viewed as babies and apparently ‘unworthy’ of claim to others. Like it or not, thats the way LUGNET’s started to become.

For the record, I’ve been very impressed by JHK’s designs lately, and don’t consider him any ‘different.’

I don’t comment on a lot of MOCs, cause I’d just be posting “cool MOC,” and that’s a bit of a waste of bandwidth. Instead, I reserve comment for 1) MOCs that are really amazing, or MOCs my friends build. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

   It’s one of its only drawbacks, but that seems to be the case. So, now I dip back into my life and out of Lego for awhile...

Well, I’m not going to stand up and agree with those who think we should force “equality,” so that everyone can have artificial warm fuzzies here. We have enough people trying to force that on us in the real world it’s nauseating.

The social groups that evole here are natural. There’s not a whole lot of mean-spiritedness here either. If you talk to those people you consider on the top of the totem pole of building, they’ll just encourage you to build more, and learn from others. They’ll also give an honest critique of your creation. For that, I think we have a great group of people here.

I hope people who are new to the group remain teachable and respectful of the norms others have established -- as they would in any new place. And conversely, I hope the regulars remain tolerant of newbies while guiding them in the way things work around here.

-Tim